The Director of Research and Development is responsible in developing, delivering, and monitoring research-driven products, services, and processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lead Basic Research on Caliper Products
- Lead basic research on Caliper products.
- Evaluate products and theories by other scientist, competitors, and vendors.
- Communicate results of basic research on Caliper products.
Participates in Leadership of Department
- Meets regularly with department head to establish departmental goals and priorities.
- Directs major projects and in alignment with the direction of department.
- Encourages members of department to be involved in presentations of Caliper data to scientific meetings.
- Provides conceptual input to written work by those in department.
- Delegates tasks from major initiatives and projects to appropriate staff members.
Support the Development of New Assessments (products) / Customization of Existing Products
- Researches, designs implements and tests new/customized products:
- Internet and other research/investigation.
- Client surveys and onsite visits.
- Obtaining and assessing competitor’s products.
- Supervises the technical documentation of new/customized product specifications (protocols, items, scales, algorithms, reliability, validity, etc.).
Facilitate Applied Research and Development
- Assists with the Development of Protocols for Applied Research.
- Helps to develop and communicate protocols for:
- Study design.
- Data collection.
- Data analysis.
- Data interpretation & illustration.
- Report templates.
- Implements and Directs Data Collection and Data Analysis:
- Follows approved project plan.
- Communicates project details with team.
- Delegates tasks to appropriate team member.
- Participates in client focus group, if applicable.
- Discusses specific data collection needs with client.
- Act as the SME for Research Scientist.
- Directs and Communicates Data Interpretation.
- Act as the SME for data interpretation when needed.
- Communicates (both verbal and written) findings to internal and external clients.
- Reviews draft of client reports before they are sent from department.
- Delivers on-site client presentation of key findings (as needed basis).
- Ensure data and scoring accuracy prior to delivery to clients.
Disseminates Caliper Study Data and Products to Scientific Community
- Presents Caliper research data at scientific meetings.
- Collaborates with R&D team on publishing peer-reviewed research articles, book chapters, conference presentations, etc.
- Collaborates with R&D team in writing professional “white papers” on issues relevant to Caliper’s business.
- Reads peer-reviewed journal articles on personality and work behavior and other topics relevant to Caliper’s business.
- Attends national scientific meetings (APA, SIOP, ATP).
- Completes classes (e.g., software; management skills).
- Develops and maintains peer network.
Provide Expert Advice to External Customers, Attorneys, other Professionals and New Prospects
- Serve as SME to various external groups not related to applied / consulting research.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong understanding of advanced statistical and psychometric techniques (e.g., multivariate analysis, structural equation modeling, classic test theory, item response theory).
- Expert-level knowledge of all laws, policies, guidelines, and best practices related to employee hiring and professional development as set forth by the EEOC, Department of Justice, Department of Labor, Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.
- Expertise in basic and applied behavioral research methodology.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strategic thinking and analytical reasoning.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must exhibit highest degree of professional and scientific ethics and integrity.
Education and Experience
- Ph. D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Psychometrics, or related discipline. Master’s required, PhD preferred.
- Seven or more (7+) years of experience in research & design; test construction & psychometrics; and/or organizational development consulting involving data driven and highly quantitative.
- Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Expert ability in SPSS preferred.
- Standard office requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is based in an office atmosphere. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.