Are you always unearthing unusual stories? Do you have a passion for beautiful, gripping, and sometimes even gut-wrenching photos?
Insider is looking for a visual features reporter to join our news team in New York. This reporter will be insatiably curious, always asking questions and tracking down the answers to them. The ideal candidate will want to shed light on issues that matter — that most people may think are boring or unsolvable — and have a knack for framing stories and harnessing visuals that gets millions of people to care.
This job will focus on the production of visual features: stories that combine writing with images from our photo resources that help illustrate and contextualize the news of the day. Visual features may also be focused around more “evergreen” feature topics of interest to our audience. There may be opportunities for original photography and reporting. Stories could span politics, military, celebrity topics, and more — whatever the biggest news happens to be that day.
The ideal breaking news visual features reporter:
- Is an excellent storyteller — skilled at taking complex current events and presenting them in a compelling and relatable way
- Is naturally curious about what’s happening in our own backyard and around the world
- Has a passion for digital visual storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Knows how to find and leverage the best photos to tell a compelling news story
- Produces clean, clear copy
- Has a demonstrated understanding of fact-checking and objective news writing
- Knows when and how to advance or contextualize a story with more reporting
This is a full-time role based in our New York office. Insider offers competitive compensation packages complete with benefits.
Insider Inc. is the global digital media organization behind Business Insider, Insider, and an ever-growing family of brands. Insider Inc. tells stories that command attention and inspire action. Insider Inc. equips a curious and action-oriented audience of more than 350 million with the information and inspiration they need to keep the world, and their lives, moving forward. The company started by building the world’s largest digital business news site and has continued to grow and evolve to match the changing passions and interests of its audience. Insider Inc. is home to 50+ content verticals, and we publish 16 global editions in 8 languages.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to be our visual features breaking news reporter.