Insider is hiring a managing editor to help us staff and run our growing digital newsroom. This ME will focus on making our newsroom more diverse.
We're looking for someone who is an excellent communicator, is organized, and has endless enthusiasm for digital journalism and for helping their colleagues be great at their jobs. We’re also looking for someone who is committed to, and excited about continuously improving diversity and inclusion.
Some responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining existing, and establishing new recruiting relationships with HBCUs and other diverse undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Networking with established journalists to help our team expand our current networks.
- Maintaining (and building upon) our current relationships with journalism groups like AAJA, NABJ, NLGJA, NAHJ, SAJA, and more.
- Attending conferences to continue to learn more about how we can make our newsroom more diverse and inclusive, and expand our networks.
- Representing Insider on panels and in media on topics like newsroom management in a digital era.
- Working with our Director of Editorial Training to ensure our editorial and career development training is inclusive and effective for everyone.
- Helping run and improve our fellowship program.
- Recruiting, interviewing, and onboarding new editorial hires.
- Joining the Editorial Leadership team and helping to make Insider Inc. a great place to work.
At Insider Inc., our motto is to "get better every day." As part of our senior editorial leadership team, this ME will be a crucial person in our newsroom who helps achieve this goal. MEs are excited to bring new talent into the newsroom and help reporters grow and learn in their careers. As we expand our newsroom to go deeper on the things that make Insider great, the ME will help us find the right people to add to the team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Impeccable communication and organization skills
- Professional experience in a digital newsroom
- Some experience with recruiting and hiring
- Comfort with managing and advising staff
This is a full-time position based in our New York office. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation packages with complete benefits.
Insider Inc. is the global digital media organization behind Business Insider, Insider, and an ever-growing family of brands. Insider Inc. tells stories that command attention and inspire action. Insider Inc. equips a curious and action-oriented audience of more than 350 million with the information and inspiration they need to keep the world, and their lives, moving forward. The company started by building the world’s largest digital business news site and has continued to grow and evolve to match the changing passions and interests of its audience. Insider Inc. is home to 50+ content verticals, and we publish 16 global editions in 8 languages.
Please apply here with your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to be our new managing editor.