At BGDS, our vision is to untap the economic welfare potential of technology through entrepreneurship. In order to fully realize our vision, we have committed ourselves the mission to provide transparency, openness, collaboration, ease-of-use and insights to technology startup financing so that entrepreneurship thrives globally and founders can develop life-changing technologies.
BGDS is looking for a talented hybrid engineer with a blend of development (coding), automation (devops) and operations (site reliability) expertise to help us build and operate the best information system for venture capital investors. You will represent the IT and Cloud team and work closely with the development team to enable our cloud platform to run smoothly in all aspects of an applications lifetime: development, deployment, infrastructure and run-time.
Experience with running scalable, secure and stable applications on a container platform like Kubernetes is required. You’ll need to be familiar with Google Cloud, Python, Java, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, Solr, Graph, and Spark, or DataStax Enterprise platform.
The ideal candidate will be energized by the exciting challenges associated with introducing a new, disruptive technology to venture capital investors seeking a cloud solution for their business needs. The ideal candidate is proactive, self-motivated, autonomous, and takes pride of ownership in their work product. If you are highly energetic, entrepreneurial, technical, and driven to constantly learn new products and technologies, this is the opportunity for you.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Main responsible of the IT and Cloud team.
- Understand the software components and the infrastructure of the solution.
- Collaborate with Front-end and Backend Development teams in establishing continuous integration & delivery framework, deployment models and infrastructure creation & maintenance automation.
- Work closely with Development and QA to facilitate environments.
- Build and operate SaaS environments; participate in 24x7 on-call rotating schedules with other members of the operations team when the service will be publicly available.
- Monitor and evaluate the health of live distributed systems, in non-production and production environments using industry standard and proprietary tooling.
- Plan, schedule, and implement all OS, database, and cluster administration operations as needed (scale services, backups, add/remove nodes/instances, configuration changes, rolling restarts, apply patches and upgrades, etc.).
- Execute all planned and unplanned maintenance activities (including upgrades, migrations, implement fixes, etc.).
- Proactively addresses issues as a result of cloud infrastructure issues outside of customer control.
- Investigate and respond to tickets regarding health and security of the system; assigning priority, and coordinating with internal and customer teams to ensure SLA compliance.
- Build updates and patches as needed to to fix system issues.
- Document architectural design decisions and implementations.
- Participate in and contribute to various Agile Scrum activities.
- Our approach to supervision is very adaptive, which is to say that we are happy to accommodate a variety of personal styles. We are searching for someone who is an independent contributor, but
you will also get the support you need when you need it.
Qualification and Experience
- DevOps mentality - automation, automation, automation. More automation.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field; degree in an engineering or computer science field is preferred.
- Ability to thrive in a self-driven, distributed environment.
- Must have been a developer or worked with Development.
- 2+ years DevOps experience.
- 1+ years operational experience on Apache Cassandra or DataStax Enterprise in a devops or support role.
- Comfortable working in an Agile development environment - Scrum and Kanban.
- Recent experience in a 24x7 production operations environment supporting a highly available SaaS
or cloud provider solution.
- Experience with containers and docker orchestration.
- Experience with Kubernetes and related tools. Helm Charts familiarity is required.
- Experience in deploying and supporting software in Cloud, especially GCP.
- Solid experience in Cloud Services (compute, storage, network, database) and, in system administration and configuration management automation (Ansible, Puppet or Chef), and cloud provisioning tooling (Terraform, ARM, Cloud Composer).
- Experience in CI/CD methodologies using tools like Jenkins and Gradle.
- Experience working with comprehensive monitoring & alerting infrastructure.
- Familiarity of MicroServices is required.
- Familiarity of API protocols like REST or gRPC is preferred
- Packaging Java, or Python, or Spark, or Go, or UI Django applications is preferred
- Familiarity of GraphQL is a plus
- Experience with AWS or GCP is a plus
- Experience with Cassandra or DataStax is a huge plus
- Experience with Python Development, Django, and Django REST Framework is a huge plus
- Experience with DataStax Enterprise is a huge plus
- Start-up experience is ideal
Salary based on experience - $100K +