Effective learning is active, not passive. Brilliant
helps over 9 million members around the world master concepts in math, science, and engineering by solving fun, challenging problems. To understand more about our approach, read our principles
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers Page
Our engineering team is composed of talented and driven problem-solvers. We never stop learning, we teach one another, and we take immense pride in our work. We are looking for a CTO and VP of Engineering to lead our team well, provide mentorship and guidance, and grow the team. You will give engineers the context and confidence to make correct technical decisions, help to develop the team culture, and ensure that the trains run on time.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
Build a world-class infrastructure
- Lead key architecture decisions for Brilliant’s platform for creating interactive content
- Coordinate the engineering team to build infrastructure at the right level of abstraction
- Participate in all management team meetings and contribute to strategic decision making and long-term planning
- Contribute to, and have a long-term vision for, the engineering team culture at the company
- Understand engineers’ long-term career goals and provide mentorship on how to work towards them
- Conduct 1-1s and performance reviews
- Organize team off-sites and training
- Help with engineers’ concerns and issues that arise during implementation, and provide necessary context to enable them to consider all trade-offs when making decisions
- Recruit new talent to the team
- Understand all engineering domains at the company, and their interconnections, at a high level
- Coordinate between engineering and other teams to avoid conflicts and ensure efficient scheduling
- Keep track of tech debt, and ensure that regular pay-downs are accommodated in the schedule
- Be the first point of contact for debugging tricky situations, and triaging engineering emergencies
Who are you?
You feel great joy when solving problems (or perhaps after successfully solving one). You are able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the system. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code. You can also reason about the architecture of high-level systems, and have an intuitive grasp of how they work. You can plan strategically to achieve very large goals that may take years for a team to execute.
In addition to that, you are a great communicator, and an inspiring leader. Engineers feel comfortable coming to you with career goals as well as day-to-day concerns. You are eminently respected by engineers and motivate them to produce work of the highest standard, and your own pursuit of excellence sets an example for team culture. You are able to give timely and constructive feedback that helps individuals fulfill their personal goals, and the goals of the company.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
- Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
- Free lunch
- Weekly happy hour
- Flexible vacation time
- Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
- Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
- A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world