Brilliant.org is looking for a Lead Designer to help craft captivating experiences for learning math, science and engineering.
Brilliant, founded in 2012, has helped millions of users achieve their learning goals in STEM. We offer over 60 interactive courses that range from the basics of Algebra and Geometry to advanced science topics like Quantum Computing and Artificial Neural Networks.
The Brilliant.org Media Design team is a group of illustrators, videographers, and product designers who work alongside a team of mathematicians and scientists to create a visually-rich environment for our courses. Imagine: cryptocurrency explained in a fantasy setting of spell-casting wizards and dragon bank tellers, or Sherlock Holmes investigating the science behind search algorithms.
As a lead visuals and brand designer, you’ll own the landing pages, product flows, and marketing campaigns that enable learners to understand, fall in love with, and complete our courses. You’ll also help hone the graphic design of our interactive course content.
- Put yourself in the shoes of STEM learners (or maybe are a nerd yourself)
- Translate difficult course material into marketing pages that have clarity and emotional appeal.
- Collaborate with lead illustrators to hone, elevate, and codify our quirky and evolving style, plus ensure consistency across every design element, including iconography, infographics, diagrams, and animation.
- Work as a product designer to brainstorm and prototype the next-generation of interactive learning tools.
- Have 3+ years of product and/or communication design experience at a consumer company or agency.
- Can articulate a vision for a rich brand identity across multiple touchpoints: landing pages, marketing campaigns, design systems, etc.
- Have a portfolio of projects that combine text, image, illustration, animation, and color into something greater than the sum of their parts.
- Go beyond just the visuals, collaborating with executives and marketers on language and tone.
- Are immersed in the world of web and mobile products and aware of the intricacies behind digital design craft.
- Have experience working fast alongside product managers and engineers and exercise good judgement on tradeoffs.
- Are genuinely curious about at least one of: math, logic, science, nature and the laws that shape our universe.
- Embrace the process of critical thinking, experimentation, learning, and uncertainty.
As a plus, maybe you:
- Have worked on interactive storytelling or games and can bring your learnings to the education world.
- Have solid illustration chops.
- Have experience illustrating complex topics like those in math, science, computer science.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant is on a mission to create exceptional STEM learning experiences, at scale, at an accessible price. We’ve helped bring learners from all over the world together on a platform in which they can excel, learn, and contribute. Our course writers come from top institutions like Caltech, MIT, and Stanford. Our product team has the combined intelligence from scrappy startup hacking and droll times at Google and Facebook.
- Competitive compensation
- An office right off the BART in downtown SF
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
- Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
- Free lunch
- Weekly happy hour
- Flexible vacation time
- Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
- Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
- A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world