Effective learning is active, not passive. Brilliant
helps people around the world master concepts in math, science, and engineering by solving fun, challenging problems. Over 7.5 million members have learned from our community wiki and subscription courses. To understand more about our approach, read our principles
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced product and engineering entrepreneurs who are working to make an actual and meaningful impact in the world. Our Backend Engineers are generalists, so not only do they work on the business logic of our main Django codebase, but also on our data pipeline (Python), various internal tools, dashboards, and services (mostly Python, but increasingly Rust), and managing our infrastructure using Ansible. However, for this particular hire, we're open to people that want to be as general or as specialized as they prefer, therefore only the first two of the following bullet points are required. Without further ado, your responsibilities will include:
- Implementing the backend for new features including design of models, business logic, and views, both by building RESTful APIs for our native apps to consume, as well as working closely with our Frontend Engineers on Django Templated HTML pages.
- Working with the rest of the Backend team as they rearchitect the business logic layer to better facilitate our Frontend migration to Vue.js, and relatedly, more easily share common business logic between our native APIs and our HTML Frontend.
- Helping manage our infrastructure: writing and maintaining Ansible configurations, spinning up new servers, migrating databases, resizing our Redshift cluster, mitigating DoS attacks, and much more.
- Pitching in to maintain and improve our data pipeline, which is a collection of Python tasks that move, transform, and query data in Kinesis, S3, and Redshift.
Who are you?
You feel great joy when problem solving (or perhaps after successfully solving a problem). You're able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the system. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code.
You've worked professionally for at least four years
as a Backend Engineer. You're more than comfortable with Python and enjoy learning how to deal with its quirks. You're familiar with Django ORM, and can drop down to SQL when necessary to debug or ascertain how to optimize a query. You think the Zen of Python
is one honking great idea. Lastly, you're proud of how you solved a problem recently, and you're excited to tell us about it.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge. See our Engineering page
to read more about engineering at Brilliant.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We're a company that's helping to bring thinkers from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
- Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
- Free lunch
- Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
- Weekly happy hour
- Flexible vacation time
- A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.