About the company
We’re a service design consultancy that works with leaders, organizations, and people to create a more human world, one experience at a time. We believe that businesses are more successful when they focus on creating better, more human experiences for their customers. By putting people first, we build better experiences from the ground up.
In our work with TELUS we took a service design approach to reimagining and re-designing the cell phone renewals experience for their customers, earning us international recognition as the winner, alongside TELUS, of the Best Commercial Project at the 2017 Service Design Network Conference (SDN) in Madrid.
Working with the New York City Transit Authority, we took a service design approach to the development of a multi-billion dollar strategic plan, Fast Forward: The Plan to Modernize New York City Transit. Bridgeable’s and NYCT’s work on this highly impactful stakeholder engagement project was recognized with a Design Value Award in the 2018 Design Management Institute competition.
Together with our clients, we create awakening insight, meaningful strategies, and tangible tools that lead to enduring growth for businesses and people.
What are we looking for?
We are currently seeking an experienced Behavioural Scientist to join us as a Senior Design Researcher. In this role you will work closely with a multidisciplinary team to uncover awakening insights primarily through experimental psychology and translate these into innovation and service design possibilities.
You will support primary and secondary research activities, build relationships with stakeholders, design and facilitate workshops, and work collaboratively with our team to develop meaningful and functional solutions for our clients. You will bring a positive, fearless attitude to your work, with a drive to be relentlessly useful, and a thirst for professional and personal development.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Lead in planning, scoping and conducting experimental psychology research, with the goal of developing actionable insights for our clients
- Steer the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data from primary research and existing/secondary sources and highlight patterns of strategic significance with key stakeholders
- Understand and respond to summaries of desk research that influence project planning
- Oversee development of discussion guides, as they relate to the research component of the project, that consider the understanding needed for success
- Synthesize multiple data sources and insights into concise communication artefacts that tell a clear story about the biggest implications for the client (for example PowerPoint decks, including audio and video files)
- Present directly to client stakeholders, often up to the VP and Executive level, to change mindsets and build alignment around the implications of research approaches or findings
- Conduct a variety of research approaches, including but not limited to: ethnographic studies, observation, focus groups, in-depth interviews, diaries/probes, usability/task analysis, desk research, trend scanning, etc. in conjunction with quantitative research approaches
- Foster the development of other Bridgers by imparting knowledge with humility and creating capacity for exploration, while providing hands on support in areas of your domain expertise
- Lead exploration of design research trends and best practices and present and inform on the implications for Bridgeable or the client organization
- Support new business development at Bridgeable, primarily through contributing to scoping projects and building proposals
Profile of the ideal candidate
- A PhD in behavioural sciences or equivalent combination of educational background and experience
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in progressively responsible roles
- Past experience using a variety of quantitative research and/or design strategy methodologies in a client setting
- Expertise in statistical analysis, using SPSS, SAS, or R (Bonus for coding in Python)
- excellent storyteller and communicator (written and verbal)
- An expert at data synthesis and communicating research outcomes effectively
- Empathetic and build understanding of user needs in varying contexts
- A student of human behaviour that can identify patterns and understand “the why”
- Contributing to a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and working on big, complex challenges
- The opportunity to improve people’s lives through the application of a human-centred design approach
- Understanding human needs and motivations and presenting those as insights in the context of service delivery
Why work here?
Great Work Culture:
We understand that you spend a lot of time at work and we invest a lot into making that time energizing, engaging, and ultimately a fulfilling career experience. We pride ourselves in nurturing the strongest team in Service Design and we have created a great space to enable you to comfortably focus your creative energy on your work.
The work we do and the way we work attracts the brightest and most creative humans in the industry. People here are driven to work on challenging assignments and deliver to a high-quality standard. We have built a great team that values initiative, integrity, empathy, adaptability, and transparency, that thrives on working collaboratively to deliver impactful solutions.
Our entrepreneurial environment gives you freedom to drive your success in this position. We offer you the opportunity to work on groundbreaking initiatives with some of the most innovative organizations in the world. We are constantly investing in ways to improve the impact of design.
As a diverse and growing organization, we value your growth and offer you the space, resources and autonomy to take your career to the next level. Along with providing an incredible amount of on-the-job learning and an established coaching culture we invest heavily in learning and development and support you with professional growth opportunities. We know that if you are learning, we are learning!
In addition to the opportunity to participate in impactful work with a passionate team, we also offer a competitive compensation package and share our success across the team. Our benefits package will have all your health, prescription drugs, eye care and dental needs covered, and we provide all of our employees with a flexible wellness spending account.
We are located in the Liberty Village neighbourhood of downtown Toronto, a vibrant centre for professionals in media, tech and design.
If you are as excited about this opportunity as we are, then we look forward to hearing from you!
Apply with cover letter, resume, and portfolio of past work via the careers page on our website.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity and we will be in touch with those whose qualifications and excitement most closely match with our own.