Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
The company supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. They provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. They measure success by their ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with the company.
They are growing quickly. They currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
About the role:
We are looking for an exceptional professional with the technical experience and strong execution skills to bring this vision to life. In this technical leadership role, the Director of Software Engineering will transform our technology into a core organizational strength.
In this role, you will oversee a team of more than 20 staff, including developers and quality assurance officers. You will be a key leader in the Technology Division responsible for guiding the company to develop highly innovative technology solutions in the agri-tech space. Your role is highly cross-functional and requires you to create alignment across multiple teams. You will engage in highly technical activities, such as building a team culture around agile best practices, to reviewing code to ensuring our systems are scalable as well as team management and leadership.. Specific responsibilities include:
Set and steer software strategy & vision: In collaboration with other leaders Tech division, you will develop our internal software strategy and ensure alignment with broader business strategy. Specifically:
- Build a high performing team that will leverage industry best practice for software engineering in an agile environment including continuous integration, dev ops, automated testing and information security
- Work closely with the product management team to develop a unified product road map across distinct products ensuring appropriate assignment of developer resources to support it
Develop leaders and build team: You’ll lead a high performing team of 10+ developers and 20+ total staff, including direct management of 4-5 team leads. You will be responsible for professional growth, performance management, and team culture and cohesion. Specifically:
- Rapidly growing the careers of leaders across the tech division through weekly check-ins and workshops, ongoing development feedback, and regular career reviews
- Providing technical mentorship
- Leading recruitment efforts to ensure we are building our team with top talent as we grow
- Serve as a leader and role model within the Technology Division, and embody the company's core values: Humble Service, Hard Work, Continual Growth, Family of Leaders, Dream Big, and Integrity.
Lead efficient and timely delivery of impactful, innovative software products: You will deploy and manage developer resources in order to help solve some of our organization’s most important challenges by leveraging technology. Specifically:
- Develop technical solutions using the most appropriate technology platforms and frameworks appropriate for custom software systems in a developing country context
- Develop a standard for the reliability of all custom systems, guaranteeing uptime and ensuring critical systems are available and failures are addressed in a timely manner
- Support and improve departmental and team agility and productivity
- Define system architecture and manage the entire software development life cycle
- Ensure software meets quality, security, and stability standards
Communicate and engage with key stakeholders: You will engage with a broad group of stakeholders from across the tech function and the rest of the organization to solve problems and align priorities. Specifically:
- Represent technology stakeholders in organizational decision-making, and effectively communicate opportunities and challenges with top leadership.
- Play a key role in cross-functional working groups focused on using technology to solve business challenges.
- Communicate business strategy and decisions to software team, and ensure alignment from top to bottom.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with over 10 years of work experience in software engineering and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 10+ years experience in software development, with 5+ years in a leadership role
- Experience working in a developing country context highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience building and leading software engineering teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business, and adhering to best practices related to code quality, software security concerns, architecture and agile methodology
- Ability to manage the software development life cycle to ensure timely releases, by monitoring the progress of all developer teams, supporting them to remove blockers and reporting their status
- CouchDB and Couchbase experience preferred but not required.
- Experience implementing tools necessary for continuous integration and facilitating technical aspects of continuous delivery. Experience with Jenkins is a plus.
- Strong architectural skills with the ability to understand how to translate business rules, processes and needs into appropriate technical solutions.
- Superior verbal, written communication and presentation skills and the ability to articulate complex concepts across varied functional audiences
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to lead and motivate teams, guide others without direct authority and influence senior leadership to collective success in a sometimes ambiguous environment
- Detail oriented with the ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Results oriented, with a strong business judgment and willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to get the job done
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required in all locations