Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
The company is a mobile survey platform that drives decision-making for businesses across the continent of Africa and the Caribbean. Their mobile feedback platform enables businesses to interact with their customers through short messaging.
About the role...
The company is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer in Nairobi that reports to the Director of Engineering under the business unit of Engineering. The Senior Platform Engineer is responsible for building outstanding software solutions to drive the success of local businesses. As a Senior Platform Engineer, you will build various aspects of the company's infrastructure to power innumerable conversations at scale.
- Maintain the company platform uptime, performance, stability, and scalability
- Design, guide, mentor and challenge system architecture and design with others
- Develop and maintain a world-class public API
- Develop best possible, most robust, and extensible solutions from feature requests
- Work with big data technology (Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, etc)
- Work with Data Scientists to develop rich value-added features
- Work with DBA to create ETL and Data Warehouse system
- Work with Operations to automate solutions and increase service reliability
- Closely monitor all platform related production systems
- Periodically perform On-Call duty
- Analyze requirements thoroughly; Advise and develop solutions that solve the true customers' pain
- Perform testing and unit testing for delivering quality work
- Acquire technical skills and knowledge continuously and aggressively, and help the team to develop the same
- Properly document development work completed
- Budget Responsibility: None
- Key interface relationships (internal and external): All employees, clients and guests, suppliers
- Number of employees managed: None
- At least 10 years experience with Java server-side programming
- Master of Science (Computer Science) or related engineering discipline
- Strong foundation in algorithms, data structures and distributed systems
- Strong understanding of big data stack, e.g. Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, etc
- Expert knowledge of JAVA, JVM Runtime, JVM GC, and JVM performance tuning
- Excellent knowledge of Database, Linux, Networking and HTTP protocols
- Strong and efficient Linux systems programming experience
- Open Source project contributions are a plus
- Have a strong desire to achieve mastery level as a platform engineer
- Love building things and shipping them, truly making them work in the best way possible