Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
Logistics in Africa is broken! It’s super fragmented, informal and very costly, making it difficult for small business to trade in Africa. The company is on a mission to solve this problem. They have built the first efficient shared logistics platform for Africa that will create new possibilities for small businesses and transporters.
They are looking for someone who is product-obsessed and has experience managing agile product teams. The VP Product will be responsible for product strategy development and execution, while ensuring that products add value and deliver a consistent experience for users. As VP Product, you’ll be managing an entire team of product managers, leaders and designers, collaborating with the engineering teams as well as converting the company’s strategy into a viable product strategy and road map.
- Contribute to the development of the company’s business strategy as part of the executive team.
- Development and lead execution of the company’s product strategy in line with the business strategy.
- Oversee and ensure stakeholder analysis is effectively carried out to elicit and identify customers’ requirements.
- Identify and evaluate new market opportunities, create business cases, level of effort estimates and go-to-market strategies for chosen opportunities.
- Immerse deeply in product analytics in order to understand product strengths and weaknesses and make recommendations for iteration.
- Oversee and ensure that user requirements are effectively translated into products that are sellable and create customer value in line with business goals.
- Ensure periodic research and analysis of products and competition to aid in understanding the market and customer needs.
- Oversee and ensure the design of intuitive product features that are aligned to user requirements to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Work closely with the VP of Engineering and CTO to scope, design, build and deliver new products and enhancements in line with user requirements and within set timelines.
- Lead the Product function across multiple countries to ensure the delivery of quality services to the business.
- Lead, hire, coach and develop a team of Product professionals while scaling the Product function to enable aggressive business growth.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor staff performance through periodic performance reviews in line with the company’s performance management cycle.
- Any other work that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor.
The VP Product is:
- Directly accountable to the CEO and part of the executive team
- Required to work with the VP of Engineering, CTO, Engineering department, Commercial teams and all other relevant team.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required..
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, engineering/quantitative or related field.
- Minimum of six years’ experience in product management or engineering experience with three years at a senior management level.
- Experience working at a start-up would be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to lead, unify and motivate cross-functional teams to build technology products.
- Demonstrated ability to envision technology-based products to meet customer needs.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of software development cycle.
- Ability to think strategically alongside a passion to turn strategy into results.
- Ability to wear multiple hats, get your hands dirty and do whatever is needed to scale.
- Problem-solver: analytical mind that can navigate obstacles on the fly in a logical and rational way.
- Engage in precise , data and details about the business.
- Excellent and influential communicator who uses data to reinforce positions and decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, communication (written and verbal) and consulting skills.
- Ability to influence, collaborate, deliver and partner at the most senior levels in the organization.
- Ability to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
- Superior analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Open to change.
- Calm under chaos.
Problems are strategic, affecting more than one function. Solutions will involve significant risk and be decided as part of the executive management team.
- Comprehensive health insurance - Inpatient / Outpatient / Dental / Optical
- Flexible vacation
- All risk Insurance
- Opportunity for company stock option