Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About our Client...
A venture-backed technology company operating in East Africa and India. They build and deploy dense networks of cloud-connected points inside local corner stores, which serve as consumer access points for goods and services delivered in partnership with major suppliers. The first consumer solution is a liquid ethanol cooking fuel, which delivers significant cost savings and quality of life improvements in the multi-billion dollar market for urban cooking fuel. It’s delivered through Vivo Energy, the owner/operator of Shell-branded fuels distribution infrastructure across Africa.
About the Retail Solutions
The company seeks to leverage its technology platform and retail merchant network to develop and offer an integrated range of solutions that enable merchants to grow their retail businesses by increasing sales of fast-moving consumer goods, and by introducing new durables and technology-enabled services that meet the evolving needs of their urban mass-market clientele.
The range of Retail Solutions under exploration on include:
- Cost-reduction solutions for company's merchant partners like smart point-of-sale devices, inventory management solutions, accounting systems, financial management systems, shop security monitoring, group buying services, logistics, data analytics, and many more...
- Revenue-generating solutions like customer relationship management, loyalty programs, promo ons, in-store marketing & content display, e-commerce for in-store delivery, store-wide layaway, and many more...
As General Manager, you will define and then deliver on the vision for the company's Retail Solutions. Your goal will be to drive the exploration, development, testing and launch of a series of retail solutions for the company's Nairobi merchant network. You will report to the Chief Innovation Officer and be offered strong support in launching this business by technology, operations, finance and marketing teams.
- Work closely with company's Agent Management and Innovation teams to conduct field research (both quantitative and qualitative) on the urban SME retail sector to identify major pain points, trends, and opportunities and to identify appropriate product offerings.
- Create and manage projects to design and launch these product offerings, working closely with the Product Management, Hardware, and Software Engineering teams, and reporting to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Identify, develop, and manage relationships with commercial and technology partners whose capabilities can accelerate and add value to Retail Solutions
- Launch Retail Solutions offerings and drive the achievement of agreed business metrics
- 15+ years professional experience, including 5+ years based in Africa
- Deep insight into the operating realities of small retail shops in urban Africa, gained through experience working directly within the field of merchant solutions
- Experience working closely with so ware and hardware product and engineering teams to translate detailed business needs into a fantastic product
- Demonstrated experience in building, managing and motivating high-performing teams
- Strong knowledge of and relationships within the merchant solutions field, globally
- Experience taking new products and innovative business models to market, in both B2B and B2C contexts
- Experience with e-commerce, digital media, advertising and technology monetization on pathways