Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. We have offices in Kenya, the UK, and the US. Our customers are building product teams in Africa and globally. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our customers, who may want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the role...
Our team is growing. We need a leader to build and run our financial infrastructure as we scale. You’ll help us create and optimize how we run our financial office including team and partners in all our operating countries. It’s both strategic, working directly with the CEO and other leaders, as well as tactical, helping to manage data and processes taxes. A hyper attention to detail and ability to translate those details into solid reports, systems, and plans is essential.
The mission is running a well oiled machine. It will take grit, responsibility, and a commitment to continuous learning and execution. If you’re up for aggressively taking the wide variety of responsibilities needed to run an effective system and team, you’ll enjoy this.
Strategy and Planning
- Conduct weekly budgeting and financial reporting
- Present analysis to the executive team and relevant budget owners
- Present reports to c-level and board-level audiences
- Predict and report on projections versus actuals
- Design and automate payment and financial tracking systems
- Analyze and suggest methods to optimize cost structure
Accounting and Tax
- Prepare all monthly taxes
- Manage accounts receivable, accounts payable, and the general ledger
- Set up and pay office expenses and reimbursements from petty cash
- Manage relationships with local banks
- Manage payroll, including remuneration, bonus accruals, benefits payments, and tax withholding calculations
- Direct vendor tax accounts in each operating country to file annual taxes and audits
- Ensure that the organizational financial systems contain the necessary controls, consistency, and integrity to support the financial reporting and annual audit procedures
Contracts and Operations
- Maintain the office supplies and control related spending
- Negotiate benefits and manage suppliers
- Set up contracts for customers, vendors, employees, and consultants
- Collect customer, vendor, and employee information need for benefits and payments
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance; CPA preferred
- +5 years of related professional experience
- Experience and interest in a dynamic, fast changing startup environment
- Experience with a global, multi-geography organization; USA and Kenya experience preferred
- Strengths in consistent execution, attention to detail, adherence to policy, and long term planning
- Deep and nuanced understanding of accounting principles in multiple countries
- Proficient in Excel, Quickbooks, and online payment processing tools
- Comfortable with preparing data for leadership presentations and decisions making
- A history of translating routine tasks into automated systems; focused on data management