Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the lookout for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company:
The company is a mobile technology and data science company that is changing the way credit scoring and financial services work around the world. Their smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes. The company is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. It is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
About the role:
The Engineering Manager (EL) manages and recruits a team of Backend Engineers. As a coach and mentor, the EM guides the team towards advancing the company's mission and business objectives. As a leader within the engineering guild, ensure the consistent practice of the company's engineering processes and standards. Close interactions with the US office and quarterly travel are vital to the success of this role. This is a leadership role in the company's management track. You will report to the Head of Engineering and collaborate cross-functionally with all the company's teams across the globe.
▪ Lead and manage current team of Backend Engineers to execute on current roadmap
▪ Effectively manage team as a highly technical and hands-on coder when needed
▪ Recruit, mentor, and level-up 5-10 Engineers
▪ Review design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices
▪ Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
▪ Continually improve our codebase with clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology
▪ Build, own, and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure related to 3rd party services (Payment Rails, SMS/Email, KYC, Analytics, etc.), for 3-5 new services
▪ Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
▪ Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including banks, fintech companies, and mobile network operators.
Skills & Experience:
▪ 5+ years of software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management
▪ 5+ years coding in one of the following languages: C++, Java, Scala, Python, GoLang and/or PHP
▪ Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
▪ Developed and launched large-scale consumer applications on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
▪ Experience with designing tables/schemas in relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
▪ Working knowledge of REST API development for mobile/web use
▪ Expert proficiency in Agile development process
▪ Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
▪ BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related field
Preferred Skills & Experience:
▪ Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
▪ Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
▪ Bonus: NoSQL databases