Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company:
The company is a leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through its smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. It is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital.
About the role:
The Engineering Lead (EL) in Kenya recruits and manages the engineering organisation within Kenya. As a coach and mentor, the EL guides the team towards advancing the company's mission and business objectives. The EL ensures consistent practice of the company's global engineering processes and career development while building the Kenya team. This is a senior leadership role within the management track. You will report to the Head of Engineering based in the U.S and collaborate cross-functionally with all teams across the globe.
- Recruit, mentor, and level-up and engineering team of 10-15 people (ICs and managers)
- Propose and execute organization structure for backend, mobile, devops, and QA
- Lead and manage team to execute the company roadmap
- Effectively interview and onboard candidates to meet the company's technical and hands-on coding standards
- Ensure consistent application of the company's engineering practices
- Review design documents, perform code reviews, and weigh in on implementation choices
- Support and collaborate with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
- Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including user/events tracking,
monitoring, and payment/KYC systems integration.
- 10+ years of hands-on technical management within software engineering industry
- 5+ years coding in one or more of the following languages: Java, Kotlin, Scala, GoLang
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams (including managers)
- Developed and launched large scale consumer mobile applications with the backend on Cloud infrastructure (AWS or Google Cloud Platform) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Ability to travel internationally 2-4 times a year
- Working knowledge in REST API development for mobile/web use
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related fields
Bonus: Experience in fintech, payments space, and machine learning