Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
We have a passionate and highly engaged team based mainly in East Africa and we are looking to quickly grow the Barcelona team to speed-up the growth and make sure we can build exciting verticals on the platform. We're searching for engineers who are looking for the opportunity to work for an international company, as well as the challenge of being an early member of our Barcelona team.
Note: This role will be based in either Nairobi or Kampala
About the work...
In 2016, we launched our platform on Heroku with a MongoDB, PHP backend with front ends on web, iOS, and Android. In 2018, our daily ride numbers increased 30x. We are now in the process of raising Series B financing and are going to use it to modernize the engineering platform and upgrade our backend technology operations.
Our Tech Stack
We are currently migrating our legacy back-end application from PHP to Elixir and breaking the monolith into Elixir umbrella apps. We use Postgres as our main database but use MongoDb for some parts of the application. We cache heavily with Redis. Our web applications are built with Angular but we're slowly moving to Vue.Js. Kotlin and Swift are the language of choice for our Android and iOS apps respectively.
- Own your work: lead projects from concept to completion. You’re in control of your own success.
- Build & improve code for new and existing products
- Practice and encourage software engineering best practices: reasonable test coverage, appropriate modularization, designing cohesive interfaces, and making the call on technical trade-offs.
- Collaborate in technical reviews to strengthen our architecture and system designs.
- 3+ years experience in software development
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Demonstrated experience producing object-oriented, structured, readable and testable code
- Experience in a software development role, working with both frontend and backend technologies
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture and web services (especially REST)
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing—you enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills - you can spar with engineers, product owners and other stakeholders
- English language fluency
Nice to have
- Experience with any functional programming language
- Data visualisation