Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the lookout for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents, then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company:
We are creating the future of work in Africa by training and matching the best of African talent to global opportunities. We're building the UpWork of Africa, a marketplace that links to companies everywhere with the best tech talent across Africa. We're VC-backed, 20+ corporate customers, 600+ trained developers and a team of 25 passionate people with offices in the US, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Senegal.
We need a chief operating officer (COO) to be the right hand of our visionary CEO who will potentially become a co-founder, to scale and drive our business and operations over the next 3-5 years as we scale and grow the company. With your experience and talents, you’ll be able to lead our team of high-performing professionals to be efficient, productive, and effective.
Our ideal candidate has extensive experience with building, launching and managing a marketplace or platform, perhaps having worked your way up through the ranks to your role as a manager or executive. We believe this trajectory helps develop a unique mix of business and management expertise, plus proficiency with the practices, policies, and procedures. We have our eye out for a COO with strong leadership skills and the ability to approach business from a strategic and creative point of view.
Objectives of this Role
- Setting to the CEO in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs
- Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
- Adhere to company, national, federal, state, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary
Daily, Monthly and Quarterly Responsibilities
- Analyze internal operations and identify areas of process enhancement
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with the CEO
- Assist executive team members in creating, growing and building a world-class, industry-leading organization
- Directly oversee operations, HR, and partner with the CEO on business development management to budget for sufficient investment capital to achieve growth targets over the near term
- Create effective measurement tools to gauge the efficiency and effectiveness of internal and external processes.
- Spearhead the development, communication, and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Motivate and encourage employees at all levels as one of the key leaders in the company including but not limited to professional staff, Gebeya talents, management-level employees and executive leadership team members.
- Drive company results from both an operational and financial perspective working closely with the CFO, CEO and other key executive team members.
- Partner with the CFO to achieve favorable financial results with respect to sales, profitability, cash flow, mergers and acquisitions, systems, reporting, and controls.
- Monitor performance with tracking and establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports, both current and forecasting
- Forge strategic partnerships and relationships with clients, vendors, contractors, investors and all other professional business relationships
- Work with the CEO and CFO in the capital raise process, participate in the company’s roadshows. Meet, interact and present information effectively to potential investors and private equity firms
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have excellent leadership skills, business acumen and ability to effectively manage, lead and supervise a multidisciplinary team
- Must be results-driven
- Must have the ability to delegate effectively
- Must have superior decision-making skills
- Must excel at strategic thinking, be open to new perspectives and better ways to do things; and be creative, a visionary, and manage innovation well
- Must possess executive-level communication and influencing skills with the ability to resolve issues, build consensus among groups of diverse internal/external stakeholders, and have proven skill in negotiating and mediating conflict
- The ideal candidate should be already based in Africa with extensive experience in Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business administration, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in executive or managerial leadership positions
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity
- Understanding of advanced business planning and regulatory issues
- A solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- Be able to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
- Logistics experience
- An advanced level of spoken and written English, French, Amharic or other African languages is an asset
- International business experience
- Fundraising experience
- Master’s degree in business or related field
- Budgeting and or financially focused mindset helpful