Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company:
The company is a leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through its smartphone app, which provides instant, personalised credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. It is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital.
About the work:
We are seeking an experienced Recoveries leader to help us lead our growing operational team servicing customers in the East Africa region. The company is a global team comprising of people with diverse backgrounds who are singularly focused on using technology, data, and a customer-centric approach to achieving financial inclusion.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing on-site teams responsible for collections operations with direct accountability for recoveries performance, full cycle personnel management, quality of service, and budget management. You will be responsible for developing and implementing collections strategies, including tests, omni-channel collections, account segmentation, and new technologies. Additionally, you will have direct responsibility for hiring, performance management, scheduling, and incentive strategies. Finally, you will be responsible for developing and managing quality assurance programs, performance reporting, and continuous improvement projects.
Great candidates will have extensive experience leading collections/recoveries departments, they will possess strong analytical, organizational development/design, and hands-on operational management skills. You can and will roll up your sleeves to solve problems: you have a deep sense of accountability for (and demonstrated experience delivering) results as well as the success and growth of your teams. You have experience goal-setting and projecting growth, with a knack for cascading and communicating quantifiable, aggressive targets to your teams. Your teams and colleagues would describe you as an excellent communicator and decision-maker, adept at ensuring a large, varied audience understands issues, context, tradeoffs between different solutions, and reasons for decisions.
• Manage several collections teams to Recovery Rate, Cure Rate, and QA (Quality Assurance) KPIs, with direct accountability for results.
• Develop a team of supervisors that consistently lead teams to beat performance and quality targets using a data-first approach.
• Manage hiring, staffing, scheduling, payroll, incentives and growth projections, within cost boundaries, collaborating closely with support teams (HR, IT, Finance).
• Identify, prioritise, and implement collections tests and improvement strategies with team of analysts and supervisors.
• Identify root cause of issues impacting collections results, communicate tradeoffs/risks for different solutions, and lead implementation of improvement programs.
• Develop and report on KPI progress as well as indicators/inputs impacting performance
• Evaluate performance of team members and provide guidance regarding development. Ensure your teams have the right skills, tools and talents to perform in their roles and develop within the organization.
• Minimum 7 years of experience in Collections with at least 5 years of management experience above the director level, preferably with a lender
• Experience managing teams who are servicing the East Africa region and deep understanding of regional differences
• Experience directly hiring and managing collectors and supervisory staff
• Experience developing staffing and budget projections and collections compensation and incentive programs
• Experience communicating with varied audiences: junior staff through executive
• Deep experience assessing and utilizing operational and customer data to identify performance gaps, drive improvement, highlight opportunities for future growth, and make management decisions
• Excel, SQL, or other business analytics tools experience
• Comfort with ambiguity, a rapidly changing environment, and communicating assumptions & risks of decisions
• Willingness to travel within region
• Experience working in a startup environment
• Experience with call center and telephony tech systems
• Experience working with an international team
The company strongly believes that inclusion fosters innovation and they are proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. They focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.