Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the lookout for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents, then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company:
They’re on a mission to build a bank Africa loves to use. They are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal.
Customers currently use their app to make payments (in Tanzania and Uganda) 7x faster all without using the internet and across multiple accounts. They’re a small team based in Tanzania, Uganda and Egypt and growing our business and engineering functions. Graduated from Y Combinator a year ago and raised a new round of funding.
Backed by: Y Combinator, Accel Partners (their first African Investment!), DST Global, DFS Lab, NYCA Partners, and several incredible fintech angel investors.
What they currently do:
They are building the future of banking in East Africa. They aim to bring access to banking services to the fastest-growing region of Africa and it’s mostly underserved 500+ million population.
Traditional banks have failed to reach high adoption in the region due to poor offering and prohibitive fees, leaving the door open to mobile network operators who run mobile money services (such as Mpesa). In East Africa alone, they processed over $293B in 2019. The mobile money system has not evolved in years, it’s hard to use (through USSD codes) and operators charge very high fees for customers to transfer money or take cash out.
They first product has been downloaded over 150,000 times between Tanzania and Uganda and makes managing mobile money 7x faster. They automate all the painful manual typing of USSD codes and help customers track their finances across multiple sim card wallets (the average user has 2 sim cards).
They are growing the team to now build the next stage of their vision to be able to offer simple, reliable and affordable banking services to customers.
They are looking for:
They are open to remote preferably in GMT to +3GMT timezones. They are looking for an experienced Android engineer who has an exceptional background in programming and software architecture--someone who is ready to dive into our Android codebase and build the best financial app for Africa.
The ideal candidate is a lover of fintech, a quick learner, strong problem solver, and is not afraid to step out of his or her comfort zone to learn and try new technologies and strategies. The candidate will be expected to dive into the technical details of the product, contribute to the technical vision, and help recruit for the engineering team.The ideal candidate will have had experience working in a fast-moving startup environment, and should be excited about the tough technical challenges they face.
Here are some of the technical challenges:
- They build a product for everyone. Their customers have varying degrees of tech-savviness and financial literacy, and use a wide variety of mobile devices.
- Most of their customers do not have access to a stable internet connection. How do they account for it when building features or thinking about things like analytics? The existing mobile money and banking infrastructure has not been designed to offer the experience they want for our customers. How do they overcome the limitations of legacy banks and mobile network operators?
They are looking for someone who is ready to:
- Help them build a bank
- Develop Android in Kotlin with backend in Firebase
- Analyze data from the mobile app and execute an analytics roadmap
- Participate in scrum-based development sprints alongside the Product team.
- Design and build the future of payment systems in Africa.
- Working on an exciting project to work on with the ability to make a real impact on the financial well being of millions of people.
- Face interesting technical challenges that require creative thinking and experimentation to overcome some of the unique constraints they operate with.
- The opportunity to help shape the culture of the company as an early employee, they are serious about building an environment where everyone gets to reach their full potential.
- A multicultural team where everyone supports each other to grow and develop while respecting each other’s individuality.
- They care deeply about our customers both when providing them support as well as when building the product. Every feature they build goes through extensive user testing and feedback and they back our decisions with data, not ego.
- They understand that people might take many different paths to get to where they are, they care about what they can achieve more than which degrees they hold.
- You have at least 3+ years experience delivering quality, at scale consumer-facing Android apps available in the PlayStore built-in Kotlin
- You have excellent knowledge of the latest Android app design and development best practices
- You hold Interest in financial services, payments, and wallets.
- You have experience with best practices such as source control with git, continuous integration, app profiling and debugging
- You have experience with Android Unit and UI Automation Testing
- You hold strong communication skills and an ability to work with both engineers and other roles
- You have fluency in written and spoken English.
Bonus points (but not essential):
- Experience working in fintech
- Experience with mobile app security
- Experience from a start-up.
- Experience building a wallet.
- Experience with Firebase
About the Team
They are an ambitious and hardworking team based in Tanzania (with a few remote workers). They work quickly, prioritize market feedback (spend a lot of time with users), and obsess over execution. The team is currently ten people from five different countries (Tanzania, Uganda, Egypt, Switzerland, USA, and UK) and quickly expanding. Members of the team have experience in both traditional finance as well as fintech startups.