About the company:
The company is a venture-backed startup building cutting-edge logistics infrastructure for trucking in Africa. The start-up is tackling a massive issue - $180 billion is spent annually on haulage across Africa, which means that up to 75% of a product’s cost is due to logistics (compared to 6% in the US).
The company's tech-enabled and operations-driven marketplace efficiently connects transport to cargo. The supply chain management system brings transparency and has significantly improved flexibility, reliability, and cost savings (savings upwards of 18%). The company has experienced 30% month-over-month compounded growth since product launch in May 2017.
About the role:
The Engineering Technical Lead will join to grow the software engineering team and lead the development and technical implementation of tech platform. The successful candidate will provide leadership and mentorship while also contributing individually on software design, documentation and system architecture, as well as developing, reviewing and testing code and prototypes. The preferred candidate is a natural across stacks, systems and codebases and keeps up with the latest news and methods in software development. She or he is a creative coder, able to adapt their craft to business needs and lead a team to execute efficiently in an agile and principled manner.
- BS/MS in Computer Science OR related engineering degree
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience building enterprise level SaaS platforms in e-logistics, transportation or mobility platforms strongly preferred
- Experience with the tech stack: Python, Django/ Flask, ElasticSearch, OAuth, Postgres, Redis, Redshift, React/React Native, AWS hosting
- Experience working on backend systems at scale, using technologies like RESTFul APIs, GraphQL APIs, Autoscaling/Load-balancing and Containers/Microservices.
- Experience building and deploying complex but well architected, maintainable, and testable application backends
- Experience with web and mobile front end applications including responsive applications and mobile native applications
- Exposure to data-intensive applications and familiarity with big-data storage, analysis, business intelligence and machine-learning (statistical methods and neural networks)
- Strong object-oriented programming and test driven development skills
- Great communication skills, interacting with development, testing and product team members
- Experience working as part of an agile team and knowledge of agile process
- Lead development across company's platforms.
- Design and iterate underlying architecture of software systems
- Oversee work of junior and mid-level software engineers and data scientists
- Engage in code-reviews and unblocking of work being performed by other engineers.
- Serve as technical advisor to management on purchase of 3rd-party tools and software implementation complexity to meet business requirements.
- Collaborate on product strategy and report on implementation progress to Chief Product Officer.
- Take initiative and keep high product quality and velocity.