Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the look out for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
Our client is a research and advisory firm dedicated to advancing and applying behavioural science in the global South. They help clients understand human behaviours and design solutions to scale products, programs and policies.
About the work...
Data Specialists support the research and advisory arms by providing capacity for advanced data analytics. This position brings analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of measuring results from randomized controlled trials, estimating adequate power for robust experimental designs, using statistics to answer questions regarding human behavior and resulting consequences.
Data Specialists should be intimately familiar with survey datasets produced by Open Data Kit (ODK) and Survey CTO, experimental datasets produced by zTree and oTree, large administrative data from technology, internal systems and clients database systems, open-source datasets and geospatial datasets.
Data specialists are the link between the Associates and Data Analysts. They are people who will understand, help in designing project’s data requirements and lead in the execution by the Data Analysts. They will work directly with projects teams to provide end-to-end data solutions, from analysis design, tools design and deployment, consulting, data analysis and reports.
What you’ll do day to day...
- Serve as the technical lead on statistics, data quality assurance practices and stays abreast of advances in research methods and technologies while serving as an internal advisor in these domains
- Collaborate with project teams (mainly associates and analysts) throughout the project lifecycle, ensuring that tools are designed in a way that study objectives can be realized and that necessary hypotheses can be tested
- Support the analysis of research data for presentation or publication on specific projects as assigned
- Provide technical review of research proposals / concept notes upon request
- Support in the development of curriculum for technical aspects of data analysis on boarding for analysts, associates, and other research staff
- Demonstrated willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Design and maintain data flow patterns for ongoing projects and advise projects on optimal systems to minimize error
- Independently lead data analysis plans while embedded on project teams
- Collaborate and work closely with the programming team to integrate statistical analysis within developed software applications.
- Explore big data sets of different sizes and shapes and extract meaningful insights from the data without specific ex-ante hypotheses
- Work with Associates on projects to optimize data processes and quality from field, lab and advisory projects, including flagging out inconsistencies and/or errors arising from data obtained from the field as part of routine data checks
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project / direct supervisor.
- Work with the Software and Data team to conduct goal setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team building events.
- Contribute to skills-building workshops for team and for project teams.
- Communicate across organizational teams to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Complete required focus contracts, reviews and snapshots.
- Assist the company in its growth by providing statistical analysis on internal processes and data as directed by Senior Management.
- Serve on internal committees when necessary.
- University degree in mathematics, computer science, statistics, or economics
- Over 3 years working experience in an analytics or research capacity.
- Extensive command of analysis and visualization in Stata, R, or Python.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Extensive experience with survey design.
- Extensive experience with data modelling
- Ability to manage teams and projects.
- Excellent management and organizational skills, strong communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently in a team
- Demonstrated experience with statistical analysis in both academic and professional settings
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment