As the Director of Communications, you will be responsible for the vision and execution of PR and Communications for the Company’s Brand and Product narratives including thought leadership positioning for the Executive Leadership Team. This role will also help develop external stakeholder and community engagement strategies. It’s an extraordinary opportunity to help a mission-based, high growth start-up, build a transformational brand in a commoditized category.
What You’ll Do at Bowery
- Partner with our PR agency to develop best in class communication initiatives from ideation through to execution, ultimately driving brand awareness, maximizing media exposure, and showcasing Bowery as a thought-leader across multiple sectors (business, tech, food, sustainability)
- Partner with other key Bowery stakeholders (e.g., Marketing and People Operations) to nurture and amplify Bowery’s brand by creating messaging that captures the vision, voice and tone of our brand in all channels both internal and external
- Partner with marketing team to update and refresh data and proof points that are in service to our larger brand narratives to ensure effective use in communication tools (QA, presentations, executive interview prep, outbound PR messaging)
- Identify high profile speaking engagements for Bowery employees, particularly our executive leadership team, that will enhance our reputation as a thought-leader across many verticals (e.g. tech, sustainability)
- Drive content creation and prep for key thought leadership moments/events
- With internal team help shape our public policy strategy and build partnerships with key policy influencers and government/community organizations
- Serve as company press contact and build, foster key relationships with key media and industry leaders/analyzers and drive programming/events in support of those relationships
- Proactively develop crisis management strategy
- Manage PR agency relationship and hold agency and team accountable for hitting communication/business objectives
What You’ll Need
- Successful prior experience in developing and implementing PR / comms strategies within finite resources
- Strong writing/editing skills and the ability to break-down complex, technological information in a way that is compelling to a range of external stakeholders
- Executive presence and the ability to advocate for your ideas and back them up with data and sound reasoning to effectively influence across the organization
- Experience in supporting and consulting executive leadership
- Entrepreneurial spirit that is proactive and scrappy that is effective working both independently and collaboratively
- Enthusiasm for Bowery’s mission
- 10+ years of relevant PR experience in-house/agency within direct to consumer, tech, food, or sustainability spaces
- Experience with policy and government / nonprofit organizations is preferred but not required
- BA required or equivalent experience
is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Stop & Shop stores in the Tri-state area; Brooklyn Fare, Westside Market and Foragers Market in NYC; and online through Peapod, AmazonFresh and Jet.com. Additionally, Bowery is featured at sweetgreen, and on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised $122.5M from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac..
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.