Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
As a Design Engineer, you will work with our team of talented engineers and scientist in the design and development of physical systems in supporting our indoor farms to create the ideal conditions for growing and delivering the purest produce imaginable. A successful candidate will have the ability to operate within a face paced ambiguous environment by leveraging their demonstrated background in developing physical systems through strong problem solving, project management, and internal motivation. Bowery encourages innovation and expects our team-members to take ownership in solving complex problems.
What you’ll do:
- Invent, design, and implement engineering solutions to physical systems, material flow and human interface.
- Lead and coordinate design and innovation efforts to develop optimal solutions for equipment specification, material flow, process design, site layout, and intellectual property considerations.
- Simultaneously manage multiple high visibility projects and tasks while effectively influencing, negotiating, and communicating with internal and external business partners, contractors and vendors.
- Collaboration with internal teams and external vendors to generate high quality, cost effective solutions in very short periods of time.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (any discipline)
- 5+ years of experience in the job offered or related experience in Design/Innovation, Manufacturing/Process/Industrial Engineering, or related.
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering design projects
- Demonstrated experience designing solutions related to Material Handling or Automation related
- Ability to use business/technical software such as Microsoft suite (Excel, Project, Word) and AutoCAD or similar software.
- Ability to travel 50% domestically and internationally
- Licensed Professional Engineer or master’s degree in Engineering (any discipline), Operations, Business Administration, or a related field and at least five years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty.
- Experience with automated material handling equipment and systems including robotics.
- Experience with process design.
- Food manufacturing and handling industry experience
- Facility design and development
- Automated controls experience
- Capital project management skills
- Design-in-Safety experience
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.