Bowery Farming is seeking a Food Safety Manager who will drive and audit compliance in production operations in our indoor farms. You will be responsible for leading, developing, and documenting a Food Safety strategy in technologically advanced & industry leading farming operations. To achieve this, Food Safety Managers at Bowery Farming are problem solvers who deliver business results & are solutions oriented. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with operations, engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. This role will be based at Bowery’s farming facilities.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- Promote a culture of world class food safety performance and continuous improvement
- Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to environmental and finished product microbiological requirements
- Audit the reporting of data and maintenance of food safety records
- Ensure products are commercialized in accordance with Food Safety standards
- Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to GMPs, Sanitation and Pest Control requirements
- Conduct assessments of raw material and finished product for food safety and microbial issues
- Write protocols, cleaning validation studies, and reports to thoroughly document all activities
- Audit compliance with company quality, sanitation, and Food Safety standards
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify food safety issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide training and coaching on Food Safety to the Bowery Operations team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production system
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM, Microbiology, Food Science, Plant Hygiene, or 5 years of experience in a related role
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, GMPs, Food Safety, and Quality
- HACCP, SQF or BRC, and PCQI Certifications.
- Knowledgeable in FSMA Requirements and Applications
- Solid understanding of sanitation concepts
- Knowledge of process control and general food manufacturing principles
- General knowledge of pest control procedures and requirements
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.