Bowery is seeking a creative and passionate MEP design engineer to help us build the world’s most sophisticated vertical farming technology and facilities. Bowery’s farms are designed with cutting edge HVAC, irrigation, and lighting systems that allow us to give every plant we grow its optimal environment, all while designing our overall farms for safety, efficiency and proper function. As Bowery continues to open new farms, the MEP design engineer will work to take Bowery’s modular system and tailor it to the unique mechanical, electrical and plumbing requirements of each new real estate location, as well as drive innovation on some of the key systems by bringing a combination of theory and practice.
This position is part of the Farm Development team responsible for the systems engineering design and construction Bowery’s vertical farms. This position will be primarily located in Bowery’s NYC headquarters with frequent time spent at Bowery’s farm facilities in Kearny, NJ.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- Use your mechanical, electrical, and plumbing expertise to design and oversee construction & commissioning of vertical farming systems
- Develop innovative approaches to our HVAC, electrical and irrigation systems that balance cost effectiveness and system performance
- Mechanical: Work with HVAC design partners to design complex HVAC delivery systems that can maintain tight conditions for growing and processing environments
- Electrical: Build out electrical system designs and layouts that efficiently handle the considerable energy requirements of a vertical farm
- Plumbing: Develop facility and grow system plumbing layouts and contribute directly to hydroponic irrigation system design, component & equipment selection, installation & commissioning
- Interact with and coordinate outside A/E & fire suppression teams when necessary
- Collaborate internally across engineering, construction, and real estate functions to make sure that every farm design and construction process is set up for success and meets MEP code
- Interface with local building departments as needed to ensure all drawings are approved within established deadlines
- You’ve earned your BS/MS in Mechanical or Electrical engineering and you’ve been licensed, and have practiced, as a professional engineer (PE) with 5+ years of industry experience.
- You’re excited to work in a role that requires both design creativity as well as deep working knowledge of construction documentation and planning
- You have a working knowledge of building systems and associated codes and know how to get up to speed quickly on codes in new geographies
- You’re experienced with managing projects that require coordinating your own work with external partners and/or multi-functional teams
- You’re experienced with the oversight of construction projects and the commissioning of MEP systems
- You’re fluent in BIM software like Revit and 2d layout software like AutoCad
- You’re familiar using 3D CAD software for design like Creo PTC, SolidWorks, OnShape or Sketchup.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re a clear communicator who can organize and boil down complex technical ideas for any type of audience in a written or verbal format
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.