This is an opportunity to be one of the early hires to the Bowery Finance and Accounting team and make a significant impact at a rapidly growing startup food company, focused on a better future. The Operations Controller will oversee all aspects of accounting operations and management at Bowery, which will require working with cross-functional teams and becoming deeply ingrained in all the functional areas of the company.
In this role, you will drive the formulation of internal controls and tools to support the collection of data to support both GAAP financial reporting and cash management (customer receivables, payables, capital spending) of Bowery. You will also direct the preparation and timely delivery of statements that follow all regulatory and accounting guidelines under the supervision of a corporate controller and the CFO.
This role will be a primary contributor to the accounting and financial processes of the company, and will be a standard-bearer in ensuring accurate financial reporting and control. As the organization grows, you will report to a corporate controller.
What You’ll Do
- Support & manage most aspects of accounting management (customer invoicing, tax forms, reporting etc.), both internally and through third party vendors
- Formulate of internal controls and policies to comply with established best practices
- Preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements
- Manage monthly and annual closings, including journal entries and account reconciliation
- Assist in the preparation of budgets or forecasts
- Participate in preparation for the annual audit
- Help in development of reports for management or regulatory bodies
- Review the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances
- Assist in the design and implementation of accounting software and ERP system
- Utilize accounting system to facilitate processes and maintain records
What You Have
- Proven experience in managing an Accounting team at a fast-paced, rapidly growing company
- Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles)
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closing, reporting etc.)
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially excel) and accounting software (e.g. SAP)
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize and work independently
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and problem-solving ability
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field is preferred
- 8-10+ years of experience, with at least 3 in a corporate environment
- CPA certification a plus
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.