Bowery is hiring our first Corporate Controller. This is an important hire for the growth and success of our business, and offers a unique opportunity to be one of the foundational contributors to a revolutionary indoor vertical farming platform. Reporting to the CFO, the Corporate Controller will develop and lead our GAAP and cost accounting infrastructure, working cross-functionally with all areas of the company. She/he will be tasked with the design and implementation of a scalable system for capturing all financial results in accordance with best practices, and will develop tools for the business to measure and drive accountability and cost efficiencies. We’re looking for someone who demonstrates strategic, big-picture thinking and also has the ability and desire to roll up their sleeves to accomplish these goals.
As Corporate Controller you will lead the formulation of internal controls and policies, manage monthly and annual closing, work with FP&A to initiate a bottoms-up budgeting process, develop an operational cost-management strategy, and work with FP&A, HR, and Operations business leads to create tools to monitor these costs against the budget in real-time. The Corporate Controller will be responsible for building and scaling our accounting team to grow in tandem with the rapid expansion of our business.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and manage all aspects of accounting management (customer invoicing, tax forms, reporting etc.), both internally and through third party vendors, with the goal of bringing all Accounting operations in-house
- Establish a system for forecasting, tracking and reporting all costs including variable, fixed, packaging and transportation; bridge monthly actuals to budget and forecast
- Manage a regular cadence of financial reporting to other members of senior management, the board, and lenders
- Build a system to manage invoicing and collections process with retail customers
- Formulate internal controls and policies to comply with established best practices, at both corporate and farm level
- Preparation of financial statements in compliance with GAAP guidelines and CPG practices
- Continuously review the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances
- Develop a system with the business to manage overall capital budget and individual projects from approval to commitment to spend
- Working with the supply chain team, develop comprehensive inventory management system
- Working with the technology team, design and implement a scalable ERP system for the business
- Drive labor planning and analysis, including demand forecast, labor rates, productivity improvement assumptions, attendance, and attrition
- Recruit, lead and inspire our Accounting function through high growth
What You Have
- 15+ years of Accounting experience working CPG, Food or Manufacturing environment, significant experience managing an Accounting function at the Corporate Controller or Plant Controller level
- Results oriented leader who identifies issues/challenges and drives aggressively to resolve them to the benefit of the enterprise
- Solid knowledge of GAAP
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closing, reporting etc.)
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting
- Extensive experience in implementation and management of ERP software systems (such as Oracle, Netsuite or SAP)
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize work. Collegial attitude, with proven ability to work both independently and with cross-functional teams
- Very good communicator
- Attention to detail and problem-solving ability
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field is preferred
- Professional certification (e.g. CPA) is a plus
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.