This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery
. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Computer Vision at Bowery means building image processing and machine learning systems to measure the growth of crops in real time, provide early warning of problems, and identify milestones in plant development. The computer vision and data science functions at Bowery are central to the company’s mission and critical to our daily operation. You’ll be part of idea generation, planning, hardware development, and collaboration with functional areas from agricultural science to operations to mechanical engineering.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You will be part of a team developing practical implementations of computer vision to measure the growth, health, and development of our array of crops.
- You will be responsible for designing, planning, and implementing experimental protocols for measuring effectiveness of current and future vision systems
- You will be working to constantly improve our image capture systems using hardware (cameras, lenses, lighting, etc) and software (image processing, machine learning techniques, etc).
- You will manage our production models as our system grows in size, variety of crops, and breadth of features we’re measuring.
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll build systems that optimize crop cycles, taste profiles, and workflow schedules to improve yields, improve the quality of our product, and make the best use of time in the farm.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in computer science or related field and/or specific training and 2+ years of experience solving applied computer vision problems.
- You have a strong programming background in Python or similar.
- You have experience with CNN frameworks such as TensorFlow, Torch, or Caffe.
- You have experience with Image Processing + CV frameworks such as OpenCV.
- You are excited about how computer vision and technology more broadly can help us build a fresh, healthy, and sustainable food supply for our urban populations.
- You are confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.