This is an opportunity to join a growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing internal software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building user interfaces for farmers and work management, data collection, visualization, and farm automation systems. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms.
The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix + Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Build, test, and maintain Vue components that are used across multiple applications.
- Have a leading influence in design and user experience.
- Develop systems to visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Optimize crop cycles and workflow schedules to improve yields and make the best use of time in the farm.
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who you are
- You’ve got a BS in Computer Science or are just passionate about crafting better software.
- You’ve developed in production web applications using Elixir/Phoenix, Rails, Django, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- Strong proficiency with CSS and experience with CSS preprocessors such as SASS and LESS
- Experience writing robust maintainable code and making use of appropriate code quality tools (ESLint, Jest, etc.) and testing frameworks (Jasmine, Mocha, etc.)
- You proactively mitigate issues through writing robust tests, continuous deployment, and thoughtful application of monitoring and alerting.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised $117M from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.