This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery
. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management, data collection, visualization, and farm automation systems. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms.
The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix + Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Optimize crop cycles and workflow schedules to improve yields and make the best use of time in the farm.
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who you are
- You’ve got a BS in Computer Science or are just passionate about crafting better software
- You have 2 + years experience developing and scaling production web applications using Rails, Node, Django, Python or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful application of monitoring and alerting.
- You’ve used implementations of protocols like MQTT, XMPP, and AMQP to handle messaging between services in a distributed system.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.