JOB TITLE: Brewery Maintenance Technician
DEPARTMENT: Maintenance / Engineering
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Engineering
LOCATION: San Diego Brewery - Chula Vista, CA 91911
POSITION TYPE: This is a full-time position and could require long hours and / or weekend work.
TRAVEL: Some infrequent travel may be required.
KEY COLLABORATORS: Director of Brewing Operations, Engineering and Maintenance Lead, Brewing Supervisors, Production Planner
JOB SUMMARY: The Brewery Maintenance Technician is a maintenance support position that will be responsible for first shift repair and preventive maintenance services to all brewery production equipment and ancillary facilities. When on call, this person may be required to come into the brewery and make repairs during the second shift and weekend operations
● Experience: The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of direct experience in a production facility, ideally consumer packaged goods. In lieu of direct manufacturing experience, extensive training and experience as a maintenance / repair specialist aboard a US Naval vessel will also be acceptable.
● License or Certification: Must own a vehicle, have a valid class “C” CA Driver’s license and a clean driving record.
● Physical Requirements: Ability to safely lift moderately heavy equipment (a minimum of 50 lbs.), up to 4 times per day and for periods of up to 10 minutes. Able to squat, lay down, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl in various positions to gain access to equipment. Able to work in wet / humid environment and operate equipment within safety standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Maintain a professional work environment that fosters a collaborative team spirit with respect for each individual.
● Work with the VP of Engineering to execute established PM’s as well as help identify areas where new PM’s need to be established.
● Keep the VP of Engineering informed about important developments in real time.
● Work comfortably with outside contractors when necessary to schedule and coordinate repair work.
● Ensure a safe workplace and that all equipment operates safely and reliably.
● Observe equipment in operation to identify imminent failures and to prevent them.
● Diagnose equipment failures when they do happen and promptly repair them.
● Disassemble and assemble equipment in a methodical and mindful way so as to prevent safety issues or equipment damage.
● Develop and maintain maintenance logs on all equipment.
● Order spare parts and schedule services.
● Identify, hire and coordinate contractors used for any repair or installation.
● Maintain and repair all electrical, mechanical, heating and cooling systems.
● Maintain and repair all plumbing, gas, air, drain and wastewater systems.
● Generate preventive maintenance schedules, tool inventories, repair logs, lubrication logs, etc.
● Troubleshoot PLCs, Controls, Motors, Medium Voltage Equipment.
● Perform electrical, pneumatic, mechanical, and hydraulic system repairs, including HVAC and refrigeration.
● Proactively coordinate maintenance activities with Brewing / Packing departments and provide clear status updates at appropriate intervals.
● This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees will also perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the Director of Brewing Operations and/or his/her designee.
● Continue his/her education as needed to fill gaps in technical knowledge.
● Key traits and attributes: Friendly demeanor, collaborative / team mindset, strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, curiosity minded, ability to inspire, punctual, highly motivated, self-starter, problem solver and detail oriented.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
● Represents Boochcraft in a positive manner.
● Performs high-quality repairs in a timely manner.
● Maintains thorough records of repairs, tools, spares inventory, etc.
● Performs all repair work in a safe manner.
● Has a positive can-do attitude and sense of urgency when performing tasks.
● Able to work with a high degree of autonomy and minimal supervision.
● Able to prioritize multiple tasks according to business needs.
● Maintain a library of service manuals and a well-thought out supply of spare parts.
● Capable of authoring documents in Microsoft Word and Excel software.
● 3 years’ experience troubleshooting the physical layer to a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) as well as some experience viewing, debugging, writing and modifying PLC code.
● Competent at performing internet-based searches for spare parts and service materials.
● Able to work and weld mild steel (stainless steel experience is preferred).
● Able to complete intermediate level plumbing projects.
● Able to write routine reports and correspondence.
● Able to write, read and understand English.
● Able to perform basic math operations.
● Able to interpret equipment, facility and P&ID drawings.
● Has basic electrical skills to troubleshoot and repair pumps, motors, boilers, packaging equipment and refrigeration.
● Has basic mechanical skills to troubleshoot and repair valves, flow control, pressure gauges, temperature gauges and piping systems.
● Has basic mechanical skills to troubleshoot and repair power transmission (Gearboxes, Pulleys, Conveying systems) and heat exchangers (Plate & Frame, Tube type).