Who are we?
BlueOptima provides industry-leading objective metrics in software development using our proprietary
Coding Effort Analytics. We enable large organisations to deliver better software, faster and at a lower
cost. Founded in 2006, BlueOptima is a profitable, high-growth independent software company. Our
unique technology was initially devised in seminal research carried out at Cambridge University. We
are headquartered in London with offices in New York, Phoenix, Bangalore, Gurgaon and
BlueOptima’s technology is deployed by global enterprises to drive value from their software
development activities. We work with ten of the world’s top sixteen largest Universal Banks (by
revenue) and three of the world’s top ten telecommunications companies (by revenue, excl. China).
Our technology is pushing the limits of complex analytics on large data-sets with more than 15 billion
static source code metric observations of software engineers working in an Enterprise software
BlueOptima is an Equal Opportunities employer.
Whom are we looking for?
Our groundbreaking technology requires highly skilled and talented Web Backend Developers to
understand the depth of the problem and devise a solution for it.
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer, with a depth of experience in developing Web
Applications enabled using REST APIs and backed by a data warehouse solution, to join our growing
company and be a part of our success story. We are looking for an individual with great attention to
detail, who is genuine, confident, committed and not only passionate about technology, but excited to
work in a fun and friendly start-up environment. The ideal candidate will be passionate about
technology and getting things to work while at the same time being able to mentor (and lead) other
engineers by way of example to achieve excellence in their work.
What does the role involve?
As a Web Backend Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for creating REST APIs
which are used to drive the User Interface. Given the nature of the application, these APIs needs to
be very efficient and high performing. This requires optimising queries for faster execution and
introducing database changes that may be required.
You would be working with a complex technology stack which includes (but is not limited to) Spring,
Hibernate, HornetQ, Quartz, Redis, Elasticsearch, AWS, Kafka, etc. This requires an extensive
understanding of transaction management and data handling across different application layers and
In addition to the technical ownership, you will also be involved in detailing requirements for requested
functionalities and be responsible for providing technical insight into how requirements will be
implemented and made available to users. Accurate estimation of tasks and planning are qualities we
look for in our engineers.
● Develop, test, implement and maintain application software
● Lead, mentor and guide team to success
● Set out architectural guidelines for the team and infuse best practices in the development
● Transform requirements into implementation details
● Collaborate with Application stakeholders to deliver the required functionality to market
● Own end to end SDLC, i.e. from Requirement & Estimation to Release in production
● Debug application issues and helping support respond to client queries
● Own application design & development meetings
● Provide accurate estimates, clearly communicates the status of tasks and identification of
● Commitment to accomplishing the task at hand and identify the fastest and most reliable way
to solve a problem
● Performance tuning of application code at different service levels
● Incorporate design changes to improve performance of the application
● Interact with customers of the application and help address issues reported
ESSENTIAL SKILLS / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
● Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
● Minimum 10 years experience with Java and J2EE/Java EE
● 4+ years of experience managing colocated and remote teams
● Strong understanding of relational database, normal forms, partitioning and indexing
● Strong understanding of SQL concepts and ability to write optimised and high performing
● Strong understanding of Java concurrency, concurrency patterns, experience building thread-
● Experience building RESTful web services
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Strong interpersonal and time management skills
● Strong problem solving and analytical skills
● Experience with CI tools and build pipelines
Why work for us?
● Above market remuneration
● Stimulating challenges that fully utilise your skills
● Work on real-world technical problems to which solution cannot simply be found on the
● Working alongside other passionate, talented engineers
● Our fast-growing company offers the potential for rapid career progression