Who are we?
BlueOptima provides industry leading objective metrics in software development using it’s proprietary Coding Effort Analytics that enable large organisations to deliver better software, faster, and at lower cost. Founded in 2007, BlueOptima is a profitable, independent, high growth software vendor commercialising technology initially devised in seminal research carried out at Cambridge University. We are headquartered in London with offices in New York, Bangalore, and Gurgaon.
BlueOptima’s technology is deployed with global enterprises driving value from their software development activities For example, we work with seven of the world’s top ten Universal Banks (by revenue), three of the world’s top ten telecommunications companies (by revenue, excl. China). Our technology is pushing the limits of complex analytics on large data-sets with more than 15 billion static source code metric observations of software engineers working in an Enterprise software development environment.
BlueOptima is an Equal Opportunities employer.
Whom are we looking for?
BlueOptima has a truly unique collection of vast datasets relating to the changes that software developers make in source code when working in an enterprise software development environment.
We are looking for analytically minded individuals with expertise in statistical analysis, Machine Learning and Data Engineering. Who will work on real world problems, unique to the data that we have, develop new algorithms and tools to solve problems. The use of Machine Learning is a growing internal incentive and we have a large range of opportunities, to expand the value that we deliver to our clients.
What does the role involve?
As a Data Engineer you will be take problems and ideas from both our onsite Data Scientists, analyze what is involved, spec and build intelligent solutions using our data. You will take responsibility for the end to end process. Further to this, you are encouraged to identify new ideas, metrics and opportunities within our dataset and identify and report when an idea or approach isn’t being successful and should be stopped. You will use tools ranging from advance Machine Learning algorithms to Statistical approaches and will be able to select the best tool for the job. Finally, you will support and identify improvements to our existing algorithms and approaches.
- Solve problems using Machine Learning and advanced statistical techniques based on business needs.
- Identify opportunities to add value and solve problems using Machine Learning across the business.
- Develop tools to help senior managers identify actionable information based on metrics like BlueOptima Coding Effort and explain the insight they reveal to senior managers to support decision-making.
- Develop additional & supporting metrics for the BlueOptima product and data predominantly using R and Python and/or similar statistical tools.
- Producing ad hoc or bespoke analysis and reports.
- Coordinate with both engineers & client side data-scientists to understand requirements and opportunities to add value.
- Spec the requirements to solve a problem and identify the critical path and timelines and be able to give clear estimates.
- Resolve issues and find improvements to existing Machine Learning solution and explain their impacts.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Statistics/Mathematics or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in developing solutions using Machine learning Algorithms.
- Strong Analytical skills demonstrated through data engineering or similar experience.
- Strong fundamentals in Statistical Analysis using R or a similar programming language.
- Experience apply Machine Learning algorithms and techniques to resolve problems on structured and unstructured data.
- An in depth understanding of a wide range of Machine Learning techniques, and an understanding of which algorithms are suited to which problems.
- A drive to not only identify a solution to a technical problem but to see it all the way through to inclusion in a product.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills
DESIRABLE SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with automating basic tasks to maximise time for more important problems.
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar Rational Database.
- Experience with MongoDB or similar nosql database.
- Experience with Data Visualisation experience (via Tableau, Qlikview, SAS BI or similar) is preferable.
- Experience using task tracking systems e.g. Jira and distributed version control systems e.g. Git.
- Be comfortable explaining very technical concepts to non-expert people.
- Experience of project management and designing processes to deliver successful outcomes.
Why work for us?
- Work with a unique a truly vast collection of datasets
- Above market remuneration
- Stimulating challenges that fully utilise your skills
- Work on real-world technical problems to which solution cannot simply be found on the internet
- Working alongside other passionate, talented engineers
- Hardware of your choice
- Our fast-growing company offers the potential for rapid career progression