This ad goes out to all those who want to find a purpose in what they’re doing and take accountability for their work.
At Blinkist, we’ve created a meaningful product that is growing fast. Our blinks – key insights from the world’s best nonfiction – inspire more than 8 million people around the globe to keep learning new, exciting things each and every day.
Why do we need you?
Our data stack has always been a core pillar of our business success. We’ve spent the past years developing solutions to gather key data points that can fuel complex algorithms and predictive models, and through them create value for our users.
In order to continue delivering on this vision, we are looking for a Data Scientist experienced in setting up and managing recommender models, someone enthusiastic about using the power of data to remove uncertainties innate to subscription models. The ideal candidate should be able to work independently and have the drive to kick off this discipline at Blinkist. S/he should also have motivation towards coaching junior data scientists, driving strategy, and inspiring science driven data awareness within the entire organization.
As our Lead Data Scientist you will:
- Design and implement an array of recommender systems to provide our users with the right content at the right time;
- Perform analyses of structured and unstructured data; manage data science projects ranging from data exploration to model building, performance evaluation, and testing;
- Utilize advanced statistical techniques predict churn likelihood, attribute signup/purchase to the right channels and reduce uncertainties that come with the subscription business;
- Crunch vast amounts of data in order to understand user behavior, extract valuable insights, identify new product opportunities and model improvements;
- Apply Natural Language Processing techniques to categorize our content better;
- Develop high-performance algorithms in scalable and product-ready code, and collaborate with our Data Engineering team to develop new data structures and to put algorithms in production.
What we believe will help you excel in this role:
- You have 4+ years experience building algorithmic models;
- Your expertise lies in building recommender systems from ground up;
- You've worked with the Python ecosystem: Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, Jupyter;
- You are fluent in PostgreSQL;
- You have experience with adaptive experimentation techniques such as reinforcement learning/bayesian optimisation and interleaving;
- You have good knowledge of software architecture and design patterns;
- Extensive experience working with different architectures ( monolith, Microservices, SOA ), OOP / OOD, CI/CD
- You are skilled data-visualiser and you can communicate data-analytic insights effectively
You might also have:
- [Bonus] Experience with AWS landscape;
- [Bonus] Practical experience with prediction.io;
- [Bonus] Experience with RESTful APIs (implementation and consumption);
- [Bonus] Previous work experience in a subscription business;
- [Bonus] Knowledge of information retrieval techniques
- [Bonus] Contributions to open source
What’s in it for you?
At Blinkist, we offer a fantastic workplace in the heart of Berlin-Neukölln including all the benefits you’d expect – from a personalized perk system to free private language lessons. Use your development budget to attend Recsys, NIPS, other conferences or development opportunities of your choice. Add free lunch, a competitive salary, flexible working hours, and a meaningful product on the rise, and you’ll get a first impression of why Blinkist is a great place to work at.
We got rid of classical management hierarchies and, instead, distributed authority among all colleagues. We foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. Not only do we want you to grow into the role of Lead Data Scientist, but we want this role to grow with you.
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to help us build the leading destination for the modern lifelong learner, apply now and let us know why you’re the perfect fit for the job!