At Big Green, collaboration and community are fundamental to our success. We strengthen communities through a nationwide network of Learning Gardens and food literacy programs in schools. Each day, more than 250,000 children connect with a Big Green schoolyard and the organization continues to expand! Learn more about our work at https://biggreen.org/
The Program Assistant position is designed to support Big Green’s Program Team in Indianapolis as they serve Learning Garden Teams and school communities. Primary activities include assisting with Learning Garden kick-off days, planting days and harvest days at schools. Additional opportunities to contribute to the Indy Program Team may arise, such as workshops, community events, or delivery of supplies/materials related to achieving Big Green’s Edible Garden Initiative with our partner schools.
This opportunity is best suited for interested individuals who:
- have experience leading children and youth in organized activities,
- have or wish to gain experience leading children and youth in gardening activities,
- have or wish to gain experience working in schools and in the non-profit sector,
- desire to be part of cultivating a real food culture in schools.
• Work with Indy Program Team to achieve defined seasonal goals.
• Support Garden Educators at school events with diverse populations of teachers,
students, parents, and community members.
• Help lead Kick-Off Days and Planting Days alongside Big Green Garden Educators by leading groups of K-12 students in soil investigations, how to plant seeds and
seedlings, and other garden activities.
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
• Confident and comfortable speaking to groups of up to 35 youth/adults
• Organized, able to manage priorities
• Reliable go-getter with a can-do spirit
• Valid driver's license
• Interest or experience working with children in an educational setting.
• Interest or experience instructing and guiding garden demonstrations with children and/or adults.
• Familiarity with small-scale organic food production or home gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, environment and social justice, food systems, and food access.
• Ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults.
• Fluency in verbal communication in Spanish
• Occasionally lifts and carries objects up to 50 pounds.
• Occasionally stoops and bends.
• Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.
• Work involves exposure to outdoors including warm and cold weather, rain and sun.
This is a temporary, seasonal, hourly position, great for someone with a flexible morning and afternoon schedule. The weekly work schedule depends on the number of Kick-Off and Planting Days per week/season. The upcoming season runs April – June. The work schedule and hours per week may be affected by inclement weather. Big Green is not able to guarantee a minimum number of hours within this period of work, but you can expect available hours to range between 6 and 20 total. Program Assistants may be offered occasional hours outside of these times as well.
Spring and Summer planting/harvest season 2019: April-June
Applicants are required to pass a background check through the State of Indiana. Applicants must be able to meet the team at designated times, and thus need access to a personal vehicle or other reliable transportation. Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2019