At Big Green, collaboration and community are fundamental to our success. We create a healthier future for kids by connecting them to real food through a nationwide network of Learning Gardens and food literacy programs in schools. Nationwide, more than 250,000 children walk onto a Big Green schoolyard every day—and the organization continues to grow! Learn more about our work at https://biggreen.org/.
Big Green is currently searching for a full-time Garden Educator to join team Colorado! The Garden Educator’s primary responsibility is to work with Big Green’s Program Team and serve as the main point of contact for +/-30 local schools with Learning Gardens. They will be responsible for ongoing implementation, development, and evaluation of Big Green programming in Colorado. This position requires exceptional communication and leadership skills, as the Garden Educator will develop strong working relationships with school administration, teachers and volunteers. Garden Educators support school Garden Teams and focus on building teacher and student knowledge and confidence so that they can successfully grow vegetables and teach in their Learning Gardens. Garden Educators will lead planting and harvesting days at schools and facilitate teacher professional development workshops and Garden Team meetings. Big Green provides training and resources to the Garden Educator for use in program implementation in local schools.
Garden Educators must be flexible, team-focused, detail-oriented, professional, courteous, highly organized, determined, and self-motivated. Applicants with strong communication skills that wish to inspire Learning Garden communities and work closely with a team in a fast-paced environment are encouraged to apply.
Garden Educators report to the Regional Program Manager.
- Work with Regional Program Team to achieve defined seasonal goals and prioritize efforts to drive social impact in all Learning Gardens.
- Build relationships and maintain ongoing communication via email, phone and in-person meetings with teachers, principals, administrators, other school staff, volunteers and parents at +/- 30 local schools.
- Administer the Edible Garden and Garden-Based Education Initiatives including the Colorado Annual Garden Plan.
- Coordinate and lead events for diverse populations of teachers, parents, community members and students at schools with Learning Gardens:
- All programmatic elements for the installation of new Learning Gardens
- Planting and harvest days at schools with Learning Gardens.
- Professional development teacher workshops covering gardening skills, garden-based curricula, harvesting techniques, cooking demos, and recipes.
- Work with regional and national Program Team members to implement, develop, and evaluate Learning Garden programming in the region.
- Represent Big Green through tabling, presentations, and facilitating activities at schools and community events.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Interest in and ability to multi-task and coordinate several major activities simultaneously
- Proficient in various computer skills, including Microsoft Office, email communication, knowledge or interest in data management software (i.e., Salesforce)
- Experience and ability to work with diverse populations, including youth and adults
- Understanding of cultural competency and social context regarding individuals’ relationships with food
- Knowledge of topics including urban agriculture, botany, horticulture, environmental science, health & nutrition, environmental & social justice, food systems, and food access
- Experience in education, urban agriculture, and/or community development fields
- Formal or informal teaching experience
- Project management experience
- Familiarity with data management software
- Access to a vehicle with a light hauling capacity
- Occasionally lift and carry objects up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally reach and grasp with arms and hands
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Big Green offers a competitive salary. Salary commensurate with experience. Big Green is an Equal Opportunity employer.