BiggerPockets is a complete resource for anyone looking to succeed in real estate investing. We offer free content, tools, and a community of over 1,100,000 members to help people avoid mistakes; learn valuable tips; find partners, deals, and financing; and make the best investing decisions possible.
Those who spend time on our site come from diverse financial backgrounds, have various experience levels, and may be striving for different goals. Regardless, our goal is to provide each individual with the resources and support they need to find their own success — whether that’s quitting a job to invest or simply creating additional passive income.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the VP Finance is expected to be a value-added executive and partner to help grow the business. As a key member of the senior leadership team, this executive is not only responsible for providing strong financial and operational leadership, but more importantly, will help facilitate company growth objectives while ensuring its financial integrity.
Together with the CEO and the leadership team, the VP Finance will be expected to drive strategy that optimizes the core elements of the business model including, Partnership Expansion, Lead Generation, Renewals, Monetization and Member Conversion.
The VP Finance will work directly with the private equity sponsor and company lenders, interface with third party stake-holders, provide leadership over the assessment and integration of future acquisitions and drive the key deliverables and meetings for a private equity sales process.
- Strategic Planning - Drive the management planning process, including annual strategic and operating plans. Assess TAM as the company seeks to explore new revenue opportunities and optimize core elements of the business model. Develop commercial analytics to drive value.
- Implement Unit Based KPIs - Responsible for preparing and coordinating internal weekly KPI reporting, including the weekly metrics review, and the monthly all-hands presentation. Expected to deliver an opinion on whether effective leading indicators for certain KPIs are being tracked correctly and to attend monthly KPI review meetings and provide feedback on operational and tactical methods employed to move KPIs forward.
- Corporate Accounting - Responsible for all aspects of the month end close and general ledger functions, presenting financial results in a timely and accurate manner and developing a strong internal control system that safeguards Company assets and is compliance with best practices (i.e. Sarbanes–Oxley).
- Operational Accounting - Responsible for accounts payable, inventory, fixed assets, billing, accounts receivable and payroll. The VP of Finance is expected to accurately allocate revenue and expenses across business segments and present a clear picture of business unit performance.
- Financial Reporting - Responsible for preparing monthly financial statements and a quarterly comprehensive financial reporting package in accordance with GAAP.
- Financial Planning and Analysis - Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating the company’s budget/forecast, and provide variance analysis presentations and reviews on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Treasury Operations - Responsible for managing the working relationship with the Company’s bank and external financing sources. Responsible for managing the Company’s cash flow including monitoring daily cash balances, reviewing cash receipts or disbursements, preparing cash flow forecast, and preparing financial covenant compliance certificates.
- External Audit and Tax - Responsible for coordinating and providing information to the public accounting firm for the year-end audit. Also responsible for reviewing the Company’s income tax filings, which are prepared by an external CPA firm.
- Additional Responsibilities - Responsible for corporate insurance matters.
- 10 + years of hands-on leadership experience in finance, with at least 5 years’ experience in a fin-tech company.
- Prior experience working for a PE or VC-backed company preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- CPA preferred.
All candidates must have exceptional leadership, talent development and process/technology skills as well as deep technical expertise.
- Highest level of integrity and honesty and the independence to report to the Board of Directors in an unbiased, objective manner.
- Leadership skills to drive “execution excellence” through the delivery and communication of timely, accurate and relevant analysis of business data/facts to the company’s managers and the follow through on the actions required to deliver the financial commitments.
- Strong analytical and business proficiency re: relevant business metrics that accurately describe current position and future trends; metrics that effectively describe market share/competitive position, quality of earnings, margin profile, asset velocity, long term business valuation, growth and productivity drivers.
- Financial systems, controls, processes, discipline and philosophy.
- Excellent communication skills up, sideways and downward with extensive effective communications at the board level.
- Hands-on orientation combined with the ability to work through others; juggle priorities and project manage efforts across an organization.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel: Minimal travel is required for this position
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position. Days and Core Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
BiggerPockets is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.