BiggerPockets is hiring a Full Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer to join our team in Denver, CO and help create and maintain BiggerPockets software products.
BiggerPockets is a complete resource for anyone looking to succeed in real estate investing. We offer free content, tools, and a community of over 1,400,000 members to help people avoid mistakes; learn valuable tips; find partners, deals, and financing; and make the best investing decisions possible.
About This Role:
The essential functions of this role will be to develop, test and maintain our web application and API, and to provide support to the rest of the engineering team.
Some examples of things you would be working on:
- Taking a feature specification and implementing it in code
- Reading a bug report and implementing a fix for it
- Optimizing the performance of an existing piece of code
- Acting as the engineering lead for a project
- Maintaining infrastructure and improving software delivery practices
The BiggerPockets Stack:
We run a Ruby on Rails web application with a jQuery and React frontend. On the backend, we use a PostgreSQL database, along with Redis and memcached. We use a lot of background processing using Sidekiq, and this is all hosted on the Heroku platform. Elasticsearch powers our search feature. We’re a big fan of testing (RSpec is our framework of choice) and we employ a lot of static analysis (Rubocop, ESLint) to help us write the best code we can.
Internally, most of our communication and project logistics happens in Slack, GitHub, Zoom, and Jira.
Core competencies for this role include:
- Working understanding of the Ruby programming language and the Ruby on Rails framework
- An interest in the principles of good software design
- Knowledge of the principles of web service design, such as REST
- Experience with modern front-end frameworks, such as React
- Experience integrating with third-party APIs, such as Stripe
- Working knowledge of database design and database systems, such as PostgreSQL
- Working knowledge of version control systems, such as Git
- Working knowledge of testing, using tools such as RSpec
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent vocational qualifications.
Ideally, 3+ years of relevant professional experience preferred.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role.
Travel: Minimal travel is required for this position
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and Core Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. This is still a full-time position and you are expected for work 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
BiggerPockets is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Send your resumé over to us using the link below, along with a cover letter introducing yourself, letting us know what you’re good at and what you love working on.