SENIOR RUBY ON RAILS SOFTWARE ENGINEER
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST PROVIDE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. Resume which includes your education and degree(s)
2. A cover letter answering the following questions:
a. What prompted your interest in Ruby on Rails, and what has been your most rewarding software engineer accomplishment thus far?
b. What is your leadership philosophy?
c. Please explain how you feel you are trustworthy and provide examples.
d. What makes you excited to come to work each day? What are you looking for in joining a new team? (please note this is NOT a remote position).
3. The completed Engineering Questionnaire that is located at the bottom of this job description.
Please note this is not a remote position and all employees are expected to work from our Denver, CO office. BiggerPockets does not currently offer a relocation stipend.
BiggerPockets is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
BiggerPockets seeks one full time Senior Ruby on Rails Software Engineer in Denver, CO.
- Building Ruby applications, including complex groups of back-end microservices, command line utilities, and data processing scripts.
- Maintaining and implementing new features in a monolithic Rails application.
- Designing and developing applications for BiggerPockets and coordinating with the rest of the team working on different layers of the infrastructure.
- Integrate elements developed by the product and development teams.
- Act as a supervisor, coach and mentor to 3 to 5 teammates.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer or related.
Experience, in aggregate, must include:
- 5 years of professional experience on Ruby on Rails, including Ruby programming language and the Ruby on Rails framework.
- 5 years of experience in database design and administration skills.
- 5 years of experience in version control, specifically, Git.
- 3 years of experience in authoring sematic markup, database design and administration skills, and Capybara & RSpec.
- 2 years of experience in system administration skills, specifically, UNIX.
- Some experience in designing a scalable application.
- Knowledge and experience in SQL databases, especially PostgreSQL.
- Experience in leading scrum team.
(Please attach to your cover letter)
1. While developing an application, how do you decide which language/framework to use?
2. Walk through the flow of a request through Rails.
3. Explain various forms of caching available in Rails.
4. What happens when someone goes to http://biggerpockets.com/
5. Ruby provides four types of variables. List them and provide a brief explanation for each.
6. Can you explain how Ruby looks up a method to invoke?
7. What is your opinion on TDD (test driven development) or test in general?
8. When is the right time to refactor a code? Please explain it briefly.
9. What is Self-Referential Association aka Self Join and what are its use cases?
10. What kinds of SQL joins are there?
11. List and describe the different datatypes of Postgresql.