Target Location: Davidson, NC OR Melville, NY
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Network Engineer will manage network routers, switches, load balancers and related components to ensure the highest level of availability and security. The Senior Network Engineer will work in a team environment to implement, monitor, and support MSC Industrial Supplies WAN and LAN, managing network implementation projects, research new technology, as well as following network policy and procedures.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides daily support of MSC’s LAN, WAN, Wireless and E-Commerce Network Infrastructures. This includes: monitoring, administering and troubleshooting to maximize network availability.
- Performs physical setup, installation, configuration and troubleshooting of network devices.
- Supports F5 LTM and GTM load balancers.
- Work closely with IT Help Desk, Distributed Systems, and AS/400 groups to provide 2nd and 3rd level support of network issues.
- Implements and supports LAN/WAN/Wireless Technologies.
- Implements and supports applications optimization, load balancing and WAN optimization.
- Implements access switch technologies involving stacking, POE, QOS, and Fiber.
- Works closely with third-party vendors for administrative support for segments of MSC routers, switches and cabling infrastructures.
- Provide 24x7 support of Corporate LAN, WAN and E-Commerce Network Infrastructures.
- Works closely with service providers of MSC data circuits.
- Responsible for setup, closure, and moves of MSC Branch locations as it relates to data communications.
- Updates and documents data communications systems and procedures as required.
- Assists in the evaluation and analysis of new data communications technologies.
- Works as a team member on department and cross functional projects.
- Manages small to medium network projects.
- Ensures that MSC(s) change control policies and procedures are followed
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum five years of hands on experience with LAN and WAN architectures and technologies required.
- Minimum three years supporting and engineering Cisco Nexus line of switches and Cisco ISR and ASR’s required.
- Minimum three years supporting F5 LTM and GTM Load Balancers required.
- Minimum three years supporting Aruba Wireless Controllers and Clear Pass policy management servers, required
- Certifications such as CCNP or CCNA
- ITIL v3 Foundations Certification Preferred
Experience with at least 10 of the following technologies are required:
- Cisco ASR and ISR Routing platforms
- Cisco Nexus 7k/5k/2k and 6500 switching platforms
- Cisco ASA and Palo Alto Firewalls
- F5 LTM and GTM Load Balancers
- Switch Stacking Technology
- Switch QOS (Quality of Service) and Router COS (Class of Service)
- Aruba Wireless Controllers and Clear Pass policy management servers required.
- Network Protocols: STP (Spanning Tree Protocol), VLAN(s), VRRP (Virtual Redundant Routing Protocol), HSRP (Hot Stand by Routing Protocol)
- MPLS Network Design
- Circuit fault tolerant failover support that utilizes DSL, Cable or Wireless technologies
- Branch Wireless access over private VPN
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite
- Management and support of SolarWinds Orion suite of products
- DNS, ARP, FTP, TFTP network based applications
- OSPF, BGP, and EIGRP interior and exterior routing protocols
- Experience troubleshooting complex network issues utilizing network sniffer based technologies
- Ability to provide 24 hours/day, 7 days/week on call emergency basis support for troubleshooting.
- Experience with enterprise class network management/monitoring systems is a plus.
- Understanding of operating system fundamentals (Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, etc.) is a plus.
- Communication skills (especially technical writing skills) an unrelenting customer focus, client need analysis, problem solving, multi-tasking, strong interpersonal skills, risk taking, documentation of operational issues and solutions, team player, mentoring and transfer of knowledge, project management skills.
· A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 20% of the time may be required.
· Off hours and weekend support is required, as needed.