Unistress - 3D Modeler / Detailer Internship
specializes in the cost-effective, innovative design, manufacture and construction of precast concrete structures for buildings, parking garages and bridges. Foremost amongst its competitive differentiators is a highly-engaged, customer-centric workforce. The company is experiencing a period of rapid growth and change, characterized by its highly visible, successful, soon-to-be-concluded work on the new New York Bridge
, the replacement for the iconic Tappan Zee Bridge.
Unistress employs approximately 400 in Engineering, Drafting, Sales, Administration and Manufacturing/Construction. Most of the manufacturing and construction workforce is union- represented.
JOB FUNCTION / PURPOSE
Develop 3-dimensional (3D) models for our projects from concept through construction for pre-cast, pre-stressed concrete buildings and structures. Perform the functions of creating project deliverable drawings and models using the current versions of available software. Work includes 3D parametric modeling, representation and annotation of 3D information in 2D drawings, and 2D detailing for complex projects. Working in a self-directed manner in all aspects of the building design and document production process, the position will also be responsible for the development of current designers/developers in the tool sets required to perform in a 3D environment. The position will involve working with a dynamic team of engineers and designers to develop building solutions that meet our clients’ needs.
REPORTING STRUCTURE AND KEY RELATIONSHIPS
This job has a wide range of work situations. The complexity of this job is high with high attention to detail, organization and knowledge of all construction activities is essential. Some decisions are made from established well-known procedures, while others require the incumbent to determine their own practices and procedures. Errors in judgment could affect the company, project owners and employees.
- Reports To: Principle Engineer
- Direct Reports: 3D modelers and detailers as business dictates
- Key Internal Partners: Design & Engineering, Sales
- Key External Partners: 3rd Party Engineering Firms, Design and Drafting Customers, Operational Leadership at Customers, General Contractors, Subcontractors and others
PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop plans, sections, elevations and details from a 3D BIM model for projects of all sizes and technical complexities.
- Clearly annotate, dimension and detail production drawings in conformance to Unistress and defined project standards and practices.
- Setup and manage large drawing sets including revisions and markups for each project. Plot drawings to pdf, dwg, or to paper plots as required.
PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES CONTINUED
- Assist and direct 3D workflow.
- Set up and geo-locate multiple models for a single project.
- Create 3D views or renderings on an as-needed basis for marketing, project and manufacturing use.
- Dotted line responsibility for coordinators/developers to manage their skill development and competencies in drafting and use of 3D software and tools.
- Continued development of “best practices” for use of 3D modeling within our business environment.
- Ability to work within a project schedule to deliver results to the project timeline.
- Interface with engineers, designers/developers, project managers, and our customers through clear communication and drawings.
- Communicate with Project Managers on progress of the project and changes during the design and development phase of the project that may result in cost changes on the project.
- Maintains positive relationships with current and past clients as assigned.
- Must be a leader in SAFETY.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES
- Working toward Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline (Civil Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design, etc.) is preferred. Recent graduates may apply for internship
- Experience and understanding of 3D Software Structure, AutoCAD Architecture, and their supporting technologies. Experience and understanding of interfacing with TEKLA or REVIT with Edge platforms.
- Excellent understanding of 3D parametric modeling to maximize the benefits of an integrated building model.
- Thorough understanding of building components for modeling structural components intelligently and efficiently to ensure the integrity of the structural model.
- Working knowledge of drawing production, standard construction techniques and principals.
- Excellent skills in relation to rendering and graphic formats · and their manipulation and output.
Builds trust and respect. Places a high value on collaboration. Is easy to approach and talk to; is empathic and a good listener; relates well to all people throughout the organization. Is viewed as a leader and a team player.
Communicates and acts with honesty and transparency, even in difficult situations. Shares information appropriately. Embraces feedback and listens openly to it, and offers feedback in a constructive and positive manner.
Customer-focused. Is dedicated to meeting and exceeding the expectations of customers to support our goal of being the best pre-caster in the Northeast. Builds relationships with employees, management and customers.
Ability to decide thoughtfully using data-driven decision making skills. Demonstrates data mining capability to create improvement opportunities. Uses proven problem solving methods to engage with peers and their teams to deliver results. Capable of turning data and processes into metrics that appropriately measure the improvement curve.
Action-oriented. Acts with a sense of urgency, and with the end result in mind. Prioritizes workload and projects, and eliminates roadblocks. Uses time effectively.
Takes personal accountability for areas of responsibility. Can be counted on to deliver results that are timely, and meet expectations for safety, quality and quantity.
Communication skills (oral and written). Ability to convey information and ideas in a variety of settings.
Please attach a cover letter describing why you would be an excellent candidate. Wages are $440/week for 10 weeks for full-time work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be required of the job holder based upon business needs and at the request of UNISTRESS Corporation management. We are a drug and alcohol free work place. UNISTRESS participates in the E-Verify Program and is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employee.BerkshireBusinessInterns.org