Summer 2018 Multi-Life Billing Internship (Paid, Full-time, Summer)
This position is accountable for the provision of customer service to all Berkshire clients during the verification and processing of initial and renewal premium payments, including policy-related inquiries with relation to automatic payment plans, list billings, e-bills and file transfers, with the Multi-Life Line of Business.
1. Incumbent is responsible for aspects of the Initial Premiums workload for the Multi Life line of business. It is required that all processes are completed within a predetermined and reasonable time frame which is measured for customer satisfaction as well as for company performance. There are three major areas of responsibility that are encompassed in this area:
- Responsible for initial set up and generation of accurate initial billings for all individual, list billed, and automatic premium withdrawals for the Multi Life line of business.
- Responsible for processing all initial premium payments, list billed premiums, and automatic premium withdrawals for the Multi Life line of business.
- Responsible for initial and direct follow up with employer contacts as well as individual insured’s via written communication and outgoing calls.
2. Incumbent is responsible for all aspects of the Renewal Premiums workload for the Multi Life line of business. It is required that all processes are completed within a predetermined and reasonable time frame which is measured for customer satisfaction as well as for company performance. There are three major areas of responsibility that are encompassed in this area:
- Responsible for the generation of accurate renewal billings for all individual, list billed, and automatic premium withdrawals for the Multi Life line of business.
- Responsible for processing all renewal individual premium payments, list billed premiums, and automatic premium withdrawals for the Multi Life line of business.
- Must reconcile maintenance and perform research on any Premium Account when necessary.
3. Incumbent is accountable as the key point of contact for this line of business and is charged to deliver excellent, personalized service. The position requires courteous, prompt and accurate information and direction to all Berkshire clients and agencies related to Multi Life policies, billing information, and cash receipts. This may require frequent written and verbal communication with customers and agencies in order to facilitate the ease of doing business with Berkshire. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible to participate in policy conservation efforts by performing research and problem resolution to complex issues for clients/agencies related to initial and renewal premiums, commissions, premium notices, lapsed policies, and reinstatements within Berkshire’s guidelines and state regulations.
4. Incumbent is responsible for Waiver of Premium for the Multi-Life Line of Business post initial processing. This will require the incumbent to work closely with the Claims Consultant and Administrative staff.
- Responsible for generation of refund if premium is remitted after Waiver of Premium is effective.
- Responsible for the accurate generation of renewal bills when Waiver of Premium is terminated on a policy.
- Responsible for communicating with the employer that the premium payments are due and determining the amount due to align with the group.
5. Additional responsibilities include participating in sold case conference call, as the subject matter expert, to explain our billing options, to our new clients, to best align with their needs. Contribute to the corporate quality initiative (Balanced Scorecard) by ensuring all established goals are met specifically, accuracy and productivity.
6. Performs additional assignments as required, such as preparing payroll deduction files and premium histories. This person will also become the ML Billing Subject Matter Expert for projects.
This position requires that all premium processes be handled in a quick and efficient manner. Time standards for most transactions have been established in order to provide excellent customer service to Berkshire’s clients and agencies. Accuracy is vital in this position due to its money-centric role. It is important that this position regularly meets or exceeds these goals so that this team will actively and positively contribute to the overall company quality measures (i.e. Balanced Scorecard). This person is also responsible for being fluent in all 3 ML
Payment options, which include, e-billing and File transfer protocol (FTP).
The primary customers for this position include all Berkshire policyowners, payors, beneficiaries, agency staff, agents, general agents, brokers, enrollers, accountants, attorneys, field administrative and home office personnel. It is critical that this incumbent is well versed in all aspects related to premium processing for the Multi Life line of business as well as basic knowledge of all other Berkshire products.
This position works in a team environment that is responsible for decision making concerning procedures, workflow, setting of priorities and goals, scheduling of planned absences, input to performance appraisal, and participating in the hiring and training of new team members.
The incumbent must demonstrate the knowledge and understanding of the Multi- Life product and contractual provisions, as well as Berkshire’s administrative systems as they impact premiums. This is necessary in order to identify and reconcile discrepancies related to all renewal premium payments. The incumbent must work closely with all client services areas and Information Technology to resolve discrepancies while offering courteous, prompt and accurate verbal and written information to all of Berkshire’s clients.
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong Customer Service background
- Strong Premium Payment Processing Background
- PC experience required
- Ability to project a positive attitude during stressful situations
- Proficient in MS Query and Excel preferred
- Accounting or math background preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian), currently ranked #218 on the Fortune 500, is one of the largest mutual life insurers. As of December 31, 2016, Guardian reports $1.5 billion in operating income, $7.4 billion in capital, and $66.5 billion in assets under management.
Guardian consistently scores high marks for financial strength from all four major credit rating agencies and enjoys a strong competitive position in its major businesses: life insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, investments, dental and vision insurance and employee benefits.
As a mutual company founded over 150 years ago, Guardian is owned by its policyholders. The company has paid dividends to policyholders every year since 1868 and the Company’s 8,800 employees and 2,750 financial representatives are aligned with its mission to help individuals, families, and small businesses achieve financial security and protection.
Guardian states its aspiration in the following way: “To be the trusted mutual partner, delivering financial security how, when, and where our clients prefer.”
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.