We at UrbanClap are enabling commerce for home services. Over the last 3 years, since starting the company, we have emerged as a clear market leader in India and backed by the best investors with ~$55M in raised capital & ~$450mn. We are now investing deeply in our capabilities, across technology, training, supply etc., to literally introduce India to a branded service experience, and in the process creating hundreds of thousands of jobs for the service sector.
We are amongst the fastest and the most stable mid-sized consumer tech startups in the country, with a fantastic team of problem solvers.
Why are we building UrbanClap?
Organized service commerce is a large yet young industry in India. While India is a very large market for home and local services (~USD 50 Billion in retail spends) and expected to double in the next 5 years, there is no billion-dollar company in this segment today. The industry is barely ~20 years old, with a sub-optimal market architecture typical of an unorganized market – fragmented supply side operated by middlemen. As a result, experiences are broken for both customers and service professionals, each largely relying upon word of mouth to discover the other. The industry can easily be 1.5-2x larger than it is today, if the frictions in user and professional’s journeys are removed – and the experiences made more meaningful and joyful.
UrbanClap is a “services platform”, with the bold ambition to organize the key verticals within the service commerce industry, bringing in the benefits of scale - structured processes, systems, standardization, transparency and trust. This platform will enable billions of dollars in commerce annually, and create jobs for 1 million+ service professionals. The key industries that we are going to organize over the next few years include – home improvement, home maintenance & repairs, appliance repairs, salon spa & makeup services, fitness & health at home, academic tuitions, photography & events, packing & moving etc.
We are hiring experienced Product Designers to help us build the best design team!
As a Product Designer, you will be responsible for working closely with a cross-functional teams to build and launch important new products and features that impact lives of hundred of thousands of professionals and customers who engage daily with our apps. You will collaborate with engineers, designers, researchers, and analysts during the entire product lifecycle. You’ll also work closely with the co-founders and VPs of various functions.
We are highly user-centric and we deeply believe we can innovate our way out of any box. The role demands great execution, bold innovation, obsession with quality, fearlessness and optimism to be inspired by the unknown and never settle, solving problems with creativity while keeping the user in mind and ambition to take projects to the finish line.
Our Blog will also give you a good perspective on some of our projects: https://medium.com/urbanclap-engineering
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- 5+ years of experience in designing for digital products
- Ability to lead small to mid-sized teams - hiring and coaching junior team members and ability to handle large parts of user journey by self
- Your work should include solving problems of the organization for growth, conversion, sales etc. via design
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process, including personas, scenarios, wire-framing, content modeling, prototyping, user research, and design systems.
- You have designed and shipped multiple apps, or have gone through multiple release cycles on a larger project.
- You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage. You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, and what you learned along the way.
- Creative problem solving - not just having the ability to find problems, but to solutionize and present multiple options
- You should be able to crisply define a problem statement, what success should look like and how did you arrive at a design solution
- You work together with Product Managers, not for them. You thrive best when helping to define the requirements, not just translating them into designs. You facilitate and draw the best design ideas from teammates.
- You simplify complex user flows and interactions which are scalable as the products evolve
- You should have the ability to align user needs with business objectives
- Empathy and advocacy for users, in all areas of work.
- You should be a fairly advanced Sketch user.
- We’d expect you to help the team move to design systems as necessary
- Familiar with Marvel (or similar screen-based prototyping tools)
- Familiarity with Framer Studio/ Origami/ Principle or even After Effects is a bonus.
- Bringing additional skills to the table such as illustration, branding capabilities, motion design etc. is a plus too!
Degree or Post Graduation in Interaction Design, Product Design, HCI or have had relevant work experience
What can you expect?
- A phenomenal work environment, with massive ownership and growth opportunities
- Quick iterations and deployments – fail-fast attitude
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies, and lead teams in the future
- Access to a world-class mentorship network
- Massive, and direct impact of the work you do on lives of people