What We Do
Bayes Impact is a technology nonprofit that builds data-driven social services. Our services leverage software and data science to deliver personalized and scalable interventions for millions of underserved people across the world. We're funded by Y Combinator, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
As a NGO, our belief is that new technologies can do more than generate profit. That’s why all of our work is open source and built for the global public good. Software and data science are incredible levers for change that can enable a few great people to make a huge positive social impact. Join our small but mighty team in building radically better social services for millions of people in need.
Engineering at Bayes Impact
Our projects are often truly full stack, and our projects are as varied as the problems we’re looking to solve. Our work regularly requires web development, data infrastructure, and data science. We pick the right tools to build social services that can scale to the size of the problem. Our work has been built with Spark, Python, React, Ruby on Rails, and more. We are looking for engineering teammates who are excited about rapidly learning and applying new technologies that will help us better achieve our goals.
We have a focus on clean and scalable code as drivers for great products. Also, as a nonprofit, we deeply believe in open source. All of our code and research is made openly available as a commitment to technology as a public good.
We also heavily emphasize personal interactions where everyone helps each other to achieve new levels of growth and performance. We’re looking for individuals who can help talented teammates become the best versions of themselves. We believe this creates the best environment for building amazing social services and creating happy and productive teams.
What You’ll Be Doing
You’ll lead our engineering team in the US to build data-driven social services for the country’s most pressing social challenges, such as police use of force and national healthcare for the underserved. You’ll attract the best engineers to build our technical team and determine our tech stack and our product roadmaps. This is not just a management role. As a small and agile team, you will build, hack, and code alongside our engineering team. You’ll have the opportunity to mentor and develop an ambitious and growing team. You are a critical member of an early stage team that will drive our culture and influence the impact of our organization.
- Passion for helping Bayes Impact build the social services of the future with data
- Clear and persuasive communication, in writing and in person
- 3+ years of experience writing code as a strong individual contributor
- Excellent programming skills in Python, Scala or a similar language
- Solid understanding of both relational and nonrelational database technologies
- A hacker mentality and eagerness to learn new technologies. Many of our projects are full-stack, requiring everything from frontend to data science
- A deep curiosity for learning about the world of social services. Our work requires the team to rapidly get smart on topics such as health care, criminal justice, and labor
- Comfort with traveling, as we regularly fly to DC and drive to Sacramento
- Ability to attract great engineers to join you as teammates
- A track record of building productive and happy engineering teams
- A knack for determining the right tech stack and engineering roadmap to develop products that impact millions of users
- Building large scale distributed database technologies such as Apache Spark and Hadoop
- Working with legacy system such as Teradata (and other parallel DBMS), SAS, and Informatica
- Experience in working with healthcare data
In your CV, please tell us why you would like to work at Bayes Impact. Where possible, please also include some links to your previous projects (e.g. your github page), and let us know if you will require visa sponsorship to work in the US.