About Basis One
Basis One is a strategy firm built for growth stage tech companies. We blend the rigor and structure of top consulting firms with deep operating experience at leading startups to help our clients cut through the noise and answer their hardest questions. Projects include customer retention and monetization strategy, category and market launch, and go to market strategy. More at basisone.com
About this role
The Growth Strategy Fellowship is built for high potential candidates looking to transition between startups or into their first startup role.
Joining a startup can be a powerful accelerant of career and personal growth. However, startups are also harder to assess than later stage companies, not just because there is more underlying business risk, but because the team and roles are evolving so quickly. We designed the Growth Strategy Fellowship to solve this problem.
Over the course of one year, you will work with roughly five companies, helping them answer some of their most challenging strategic questions. You’ll learn about a variety of industries and business models, and work with people across a range of functions, including product, marketing, analytics, bizops, and the leadership team.
At the end of the year, you’ll have developed greater clarity on the kind of company and role that is the best fit for you, and have gotten an insider’s view into multiple leading startups. From there, you’ll have the full support of the Basis One team as you transition into one of these startups or any other opportunity that interests you.
- You have a blend of quantitative and qualitative skills, but at your core you are data-driven and require proof through numbers
- You love battling complexity until you can distill simple findings
- You are an exceptionally clear thinking and communicator
- You’re comfortable in a fast-paced, unstructured environment and are a self-guided learner
- You have a deep interest in understanding how great products become world-changing companies
- Turn unstructured questions into structured analyses and explorations to unpack them
- Analyze client data in SQL, excel, and BI tools like Tableau
- Conduct consumer and 3rd party research
- Synthesize findings into actionable recommendations and present to clients and the internal team
- Work side by side with client teams as a thought partner
- In some cases, embed entirely into client teams on special projects
Recent project examples
- Monetization and pricing strategy for a retail marketplace
- Subscriber retention strategy for a media startup
- Cross-side virality strategy for a social marketplace
- 2-6 years of experience in top tier strategy consulting firms and/or growth, product, or analytics roles in tech
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Proficiency using SQL to analyze large data sets, or advanced excel experience and readiness to learn SQL
- Sharp business judgement and ability to separate signal from noise