A Sushi Chef is responsible for working with the Sushi Team to ensure consistent and timely preparation of ingredients and Sushi Bar menu items.
At Bamboo Sushi, Sushi Chefs progress through three stations, dependent on skill level:
1. Roll case: focus on vegetable prep, making sushi rice, and mastering the production of our sushi rolls
2. Front case: focus on fish breakdown, developing expertise of fish cuts, mastering the production of nigiri
and sashimi, creating omakase experiences for guests, interacting with guests sitting at Sushi Bar
3. Wheel: focus on organizing orders coming in with those in production, also making sushi rolls, nigiri, and
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Adhere to Bamboo Sushi’s policies and procedures including uniform, grooming, and attendance.
- Adhere to company, state, and county food safety and sanitation standards.
- Clean and sanitize work area before, during, and after shift.
- Maintain clean and organized workstation, practicing safe and sanitary food handling at all times.
- Prepare food consistently based on recipes.
- Clearly label (including date) and store all containers of food accurately and consistently in accordance with kitchen and food safety and sanitation guidelines.
- Assist other team members as needed.
- Receive, confirm, and appropriately label and store deliveries made while on shift.
- Maintain friendly, helpful, and positive attitude while at work.
- Prepare vegetables for sushi bar items which may include cutting and rolling cucumbers and thinly slicing avocados.
- Prepare sushi rice consistently according to Bamboo Sushi recipe.
- Prepare and present signature sushi rolls ordered during service in a consistent and timely manner according to recipe build and/or guest request.
- Communicate clearly with tempura station during service to order items needed for tempura rolls.
- Cut, fabricate, and/or fillet fish for sushi bar in a delicate, precise, and consistent manner per Bamboo Sushi’s recipe guidelines.
- Prepare and present nigiri and yakumi items ordered during service in a consistent and timely manner according to recipe build and/or guest request.
- Know all sushi bar menu items including potential allergens, where and how each fish was caught or farmed, as well as Bamboo Sushi’s partners in sustainability.
- Create omakase experiences for guests when ordered.
- Interact with and take sushi bar orders from guests sitting at Sushi Bar, communicating as needed with Sushi Bar server to ensure the best guest experience.
- Organize tickets during service and communicate to appropriate Sushi Chefs which items need to be made to ensure timely production of rolls and nigiri.
- Ensure sushi bar items ordered are prepared and presented consistently according to Bamboo Sushi recipe builds and food and safety guidelines.
- Communicate any issues or delays during service to Restaurant Leader (or MOD) as needed.
- Food Handler’s Certificate
- Previous related experience working in a scratch kitchen (at least one year minimum preferred)
- Ability to see, hear, read, and write.
- Ability to comprehend and follow written and verbal direction.
- Must be able to speak clearly and listen attentively to guests, team members, and leadership.
- Ability to manage work flow and resolve questions and issues with team and leadership.
- Capable of using knives, industrial kitchen and food preparation equipment.
- Ability to work in a high-volume restaurant kitchen environment with exposure to wet floors, noise, and temperature extremes.
- Ability to place plates, utensils, pans, and cases on high and low shelves.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed.