Bamboo Sushi is opening its first location in California! Join our Opening Team at Bishop Ranch in San Ramon.
The Head Sushi Chef for Bamboo Sushi is responsible for ensuring operational excellence of Sushi Bar while maximizing profitability with quality training, coaching, and follow-through with team members. In partnership with the Chef de Cuisine, the Head Sushi Chef is accountable for all aspects of sushi bar including scheduling, cost control, food standards, systems, cleanliness, organization, team member engagement, and the guest experience.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Leadership in Prep & Service
- Lead Sushi Bar team in accordance with Bamboo Sushi policies and document any staff issues that do not align with policies (i.e. attendance, behavior, attitude)
- Conduct daily shift line checks of sushi bar to ensure execution of prep work is accurate, complete, and in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations
- Responsible for proper and accurate labeling with date on all food containers to monitor freshness of all food and ensure first-in, first-out organization in walk-ins and low-boys in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations
- Ensure preparation of sushi, sashimi, nigiri, and specialty rolls in compliance with standardized recipes and portion volume, assisting team members during peak service times
- Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all Sushi Bar work areas, utensils, and equipment, communicating any repairs needed to Restaurant Leader
- Work with Restaurant Leader and FOH team to ensure proper order pacing and timely execution of food by Sushi Bar teams so guest receives food at same time and per Bamboo Sushi service standards
- Prepare daily prep list and oversee execution of mise en place by Sushi Bar
- Create weekly or bi-weekly specials for the sushi bar working with CDC and BOH team on flavor profile, food cost, and presentation.
Training & Development
- Provide direction, coaching, and leadership for all sushi chefs on a daily basis including training, safety and sanitation, and company policies and procedures
- Demonstrate, train, assess, and provide feedback to new hires on proper preparation of sushi food items (i.e. avocados, cucumbers, fish, sushi rice) with the support of the CDC
- Educate and serve as point person on Sushi Bar menu knowledge, allergens, specials, and promotions
- Work with Restaurant Leader and CDC to proactively communicate staffing needs and implement development plans for current team members through Bamboo Sushi’s career development path
- Interview and hire, in collaboration with Restaurant Leader and CDC, all Sushi Bar positions to maintain appropriate staffing par levels
- Responsible for establishing and communicating goals and opportunities to Restaurant Leader and CDC on a regular basis
Responsible for direct supervision of the Sushi Bar team, in partnership with CDC
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a high-volume sushi restaurant as a Sushi Chef
- At least 3 years in a supervisory experience leading Sushi Bar team
- Mastery of fish breakdown, knife cuts, and health and sanitation guidelines
- Understanding of labor and food cost; previous exposure to P&L’s and budgeting a plus
- Superior communication, leadership, and motivational skills demonstrated ability to coach, develop, and retain Sushi Bar team members
- Ability to work on a computer with proficiency using technologies such as POS systems, scheduling and restaurant management software
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and work in a kitchen/sushi bar environment
- Ability to sit at a desk, working on computer and/or phone
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Requires the ability to work in a sushi bar and kitchen environment with tools and industrial equipment
- Requires the ability to communicate with team and leadership in person, by phone, and/or computer