Bamboo Sushi is opening its first location in Washington State! Join our Opening Team at University Village in Seattle.
The Chef de Cuisine (CDC) for Bamboo Sushi is responsible for ensuring operational excellence of prep, line, and sushi bar while maximizing profitability with quality training, coaching, and follow-through with team members. The CDC is accountable for all aspects of sushi bar and kitchen operations including scheduling, cost control, food standards, systems, cleanliness, organization, team member engagement, and the guest experience. This individual works closely with the Restaurant Leader to ensure food and labor costs are within budget and will work with the Director of Sushi & Culinary Operations to hire, train, and develop the BOH team.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Leadership in Prep & Service
- Lead BOH team in accordance with Bamboo Sushi policies and document any staff issues that do not align with policies (i.e. attendance, behavior, attitude)
- Oversee department inventory procedures with accountability for checking incoming orders and deliveries, communicating effectively with vendors, and notifying Restaurant Leader and Director of Supply Chain if there are any delivery issues or inconsistencies
- Conduct daily shift line checks of sushi bar and hot kitchen to ensure execution of prep work is accurate, complete, and in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations
- Responsible for proper and accurate labeling with date on all food containers to monitor freshness of all food and ensure first-in, first-out organization in walk-ins and low-boys in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations
- Ensure preparation of sushi, sashimi, nigiri, and specialty rolls in compliance with standardized recipes and portion volume, assisting team members during peak service times
- Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all BOH work areas, utensils, and equipment, communicating any repairs needed to Restaurant Leader
- Work with Restaurant Leader and FOH team to ensure proper order pacing and timely execution of food by BOH teams so guest receives food at same time and per Bamboo Sushi service standards
- Prepare daily prep list and oversee execution of mise en place by BOH sushi and kitchen teams
- Create weekly or bi-weekly specials for the sushi bar and kitchen, working with Sous Chef and/or team on flavor profile, food cost, and presentation.
Training & Development
- Provide direction, coaching, and leadership for all sushi chefs and kitchen team members on a daily basis including training, safety and sanitation, and company policies and procedures
- Demonstrate, train, assess, and provide feedback to new hires on proper preparation of sushi food items (i.e. avocados, cucumbers, fish, sushi rice) with the support of the Director of Sushi & Culinary Operations utilizing the BOH Training Program
- Educate and serve as point person for FOH and BOH team on menu knowledge, allergens, specials, and promotions
- Work with Restaurant Leader and Director of Sushi & Culinary Operations to proactively communicate staffing needs and implement development plans for current team members through Bamboo Sushi’s career development path
- Interview and hire, in collaboration with Restaurant Leader, all BOH positions to maintain appropriate staffing par levels
- Responsible for establishing and communicating goals and opportunities to Restaurant Leader, Director of Sushi & Culinary Operations, and Director of Operations on a regular basis
- Effectively manage BOH department budgets, in collaboration with Restaurant Leaders, including forecasting
- Organize and lead monthly BOH team meetings to communicate updates, motivate team, and provide a constructive forum for feedback and concerns
- Create and post weekly BOH schedule three weeks in advance, considering restaurant needs and PTO requests and ensuring staffing coverage when there are call-outs and for mandatory breaks during shift
Responsible for direct supervision of the BOH team including Sous Chef, Sushi Chefs, Cooks, and Dishwasher.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a high-volume restaurant, sushi preferred
- At least 3 years in a supervisory kitchen role managing and leading teams of at least 15 BOH employees
- Mastery of fish breakdown, knife cuts, and health and sanitation guidelines
- Understanding of labor and food cost; previous exposure to P&L’s and budgeting a plus
- Superior communication, leadership, and motivational skills demonstrated ability to coach, develop, and retain BOH team members
- Ability to work on a computer with proficiency using technologies such as POS systems, scheduling and restaurant management software
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and work in a kitchen/sushi bar environment
- Ability to sit at a desk, working on computer and/or phone
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Requires the ability to work in a sushi bar and kitchen environment with tools and industrial equipment § Requires the ability to communicate with team and leadership in person, by phone, and/or computer