Bamboo Sushi is opening its first location in Washington State! Join our Opening Team at University Village in Seattle.
The Sous Chef for Bamboo Sushi is responsible for assisting the Chef de Cuisine for Sushi Bar & Kitchen (CDC) in ensuring operational excellence of prep, line, and sushi bar with primary focus in the hot kitchen area. This individual oversees BOH operations which may include scheduling, cooking, production, inventory, quality control, food safety, and sanitation, in alignment and in absence of the CDC.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Prep & Service
- Work with CDC to lead BOH team in accordance with Bamboo Sushi policies and observe documentation of any staff issues that do not align with policies (i.e. attendance, behavior, attitude)
- Take control quickly to resolve any issues that arise in the kitchen and/or with BOH team members
- Assist CDC in overseeing department inventory procedures with accountability for checking incoming orders and deliveries, tracking, recording, and replenishing inventory as needed
- Conduct daily shift line checks of sushi bar and hot kitchen to ensure execution of prep work is accurate, complete, and in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations in absence of/per request of CDC
- Accountable for maintaining par lists and checklists on a daily basis for kitchen inventory and supplies
- Confirm on a daily basis the proper and accurate labeling with date on all food containers to monitor freshness of all food and ensure first-in, first-out organization in walk-ins and low-boys in accordance with food safety and sanitation regulations
- Ensure preparation of hot kitchen items (tempura, sauté) is in compliance with standardized recipes and portion volume, assisting team members during peak service times
- Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all BOH work areas, utensils, and equipment, communicating any repairs needed to CDC
- Work with CDC, Restaurant Leader and FOH team to ensure proper order pacing and timely execution of food by BOH teams so guest receives food at same time and per Bamboo Sushi service standards
- Ensure daily prep list is complete and oversee execution of mise en place by kitchen team
- Assist CDC in creating weekly specials for the kitchen
Training & Development
- Provide direction, coaching, and leadership to kitchen team members on a daily basis including training (and cross-training team on multiple stations), safety and sanitation, and company policies & procedures
- Assist CDC in educating FOH and BOH team on menu knowledge, allergens, specials, and promotions
- Demonstrate, train, assess, and provide feedback to new hires on proper preparation of hot kitchen food items (i.e. tempura, sauté) with the support of the CDC and Director of Sushi & Culinary Operations utilizing the BOH Training Program
- Assist with interviewing and hiring as needed, in collaboration with CDC and Restaurant Leader to ensure BOH maintains appropriate staffing par levels
- Assist CDC in creating and posting weekly BOH schedule three weeks in advance, considering restaurant needs and PTO requests and ensuring staffing coverage when there are call-outs and for mandatory breaks during shift changes
- Assist CDC with sushi line and ordering in absence of Sushi Chef Leader
Responsible for co-supervising of the BOH team in alignment and absence of Chef de Cuisine. This individual’s primary focus will be overseeing team in hot kitchen area.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience working in a scratch kitchen
- At least 2 years of previous experience as a Lead Line Cook with experience as a Sous Chef preferred
- Ability to work on a computer with proficiency using technologies such as POS systems, scheduling and restaurant management software
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and work in a kitchen environment
- Ability to sit at a desk, working on computer and/or phone at times
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Requires the ability to work in a kitchen environment with tools and industrial equipment
- Requires the ability to communicate with team and leadership in person, by phone, and/or computer