Azavea is a civic technology firm that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. We are a bootstrap company of more than 60 people engaged in a range of impactful and challenging projects, including: climate change, homelessness, water management, land conservation, urban forestry, elections, public safety, satellite imagery, and transportation. We’re excited about what we do, we're growing, and we hope you will join us to help grow Azavea.
We are looking for an experienced business development professional to help us strategically grow revenue for our professional services practice as well as manage and mentor junior colleagues engaged in services and product sales. You will report directly to the CEO and will work with the VP of Professional Services, Community Ambassador, and the Bids and Proposals staff to cultivate customer and partner relationships that will drive top-line revenue growth. You should be a creative problem solver and be a strong visual, written, and spoken communicator. While you will be working closely with a supportive team, you should also be comfortable working independently, and demonstrate a strong sense of initiative, ownership, and responsibility.
What you’ll do:
You will be part of Azavea’s management team and will have a diverse set of responsibilities including:
- Develop and implement business development strategy for Azavea’s professional services practice with an initial emphasis on growing our federal and international business.
- Work with a team to identify new opportunities, develop and review proposals and budgets for both research and professional services projects.
- Manage and support multi-disciplinary business development team through effective coaching and participation in all aspects of the business development process.
- Leverage and expand strategic partnerships (including Esri, CARTO, TriTech, Eclipse Foundation, and AWS).
- Leverage community engagement activities (open data, open source, Summer of Maps, etc.) to grow the business.
- Pursue strategic projects that reflect our mission and values.
- Manage and work to improve bid and proposal development activities.
- Develop deep knowledge of the geospatial industry, Azavea’s work, and our mission.
Qualities we’re looking for in you:
- Strong sense of ownership and desire to play a leadership role.
- Substantial demonstrated experience in business development and revenue growth.
- Experience with developing a professional services business for B2B or B2G customers.
- Proven track record expanding a business development team, growing revenue for a small to medium-sized company, and managing the entire funnel.
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills including outstanding presentation skills.
- Several years of experience managing and mentoring colleagues.
- Great time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks to achieve objectives.
- Proactive and resourceful in finding, building, and nurturing relationships with key decision makers and leaders.
- Passion for growing a mission-driven organization.
You get extra points for:
- Market research and analysis experience.
- Branding and marketing experience.
- Knowledge of the software development process and geospatial industry.
It’s not expected that any single candidate will have expertise in all of these areas; we’re looking for folks that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have a combination of interest and capabilities in others.
What you can expect:
Our Philadelphia office is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers and lockers. It’s an open office plan with lots of smaller rooms for team meetings, private space and concentration time. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 – 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, we encourage folks to spend up to 10% of their time on learning, professional development, open source, or a research project. For example, some of our colleagues allocate their time to training or online courses while others attend a professional conference or develop tools to improve automation of our systems. Learning projects can take many forms, but the important thing is that we want to see people pushing their professional skills forward in a meaningful way.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience and a benefits package that includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with company match
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly lunches and guest speaker series
- 10% time for Research or Training Projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company, and we prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.