Are you looking for a Senior Backend Engineer role in a high growth startup? Bored being just a number in a multi-national and want to make a real difference? Do you want to help build out the future world leading News Intelligence Platform? If so then read on!
At AYLIEN we are on a mission to revolutionise the Data Intelligence market with the use of market leading AI. We already make it easy for companies like Sony, IHS Markits, Microsoft and Revolut to not only collect but truly understand large volumes of human-generated (unstructured) data using Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing. Other companies talk about AI, we live it! We currently have over 15 ML models running on a flexible, fully extendable platform processing millions of documents daily! And the best bit is we are only getting started!
We have recently secured €5 million in Series A funding and are looking for smart, ambitious and fun loving people to help us take the AYLIEN platform into new markets and to new users. We have big ambitions for the future and we want to hire people that can help make those ambitions a reality.
We are looking for a passionate problem solver who happens to also be a strong Senior Back End Engineer. We are looking for someone who values personal growth and team collaboration over ego and attitude. Someone who can help us build a platform which will scale to meet our ambitions and perform to meet those of our customers.
What we do
We work on complex, large-scale engineering problems at AYLIEN. Today, we have hundreds of millions of documents in our index, and we process millions of pieces of content from tens of thousands of sources in real-time, in multiple human languages, every day. We plan on scaling the throughput of our platform significantly over the next few months. We use state-of-the-art technologies; our infrastructure is based on Docker and Kubernetes, and is defined by Terraform. Our content aggregation and analysis pipeline is built with Scala, and we develop our microservices in Go. We work on a wide variety of complex and diverse tasks and since we focus on finding the best tool for every problem, we have a growing number of tools at our disposal.
Take a test drive
and explore the capabilities we provide in our News API.
What we care about
We value cultural contribution in the team, and we are open-minded and inclusive. Everyone is kind and helpful at AYLIEN and, in the engineering team in particular, we support each other and work together as a team — using agile processes — to build an outstanding product. When you join the AYLIEN team, your input is welcome and valued from day one.
We’re committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members without regard to factors such as race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Aylien believes that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
A typical week at AYLIEN
On Monday, we spend a good portion of the day on planning and synchronization. During this time we discuss the upcoming sprint or the features or releases we plan to deliver that week.
Throughout the week you’ll be working on assigned tasks, collaborating with colleagues, syncing with the product team, and possibly even getting a game of Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros in for some downtime. At AYLIEN, we review each other’s work on a very regular basis, so chances are you’ll be diving into a PR and helping a colleague out. This means your code will also be reviewed, so you can be sure your work will be good to go when you make your first push! (Which is something we expect in your first 7 days at AYLIEN.)
Every morning, we run a technical stand-up (which lasts literally 10 minutes) where you’ll get a chance to share your progress, brainstorm, and hear about the rest of the team's activity that week.
On Fridays, after the company-wide coffee morning, we run an engineering specific reading group to discuss interesting topics related to what the team has been working on.
We also run an on-call rota at AYLIEN to help ensure we spread the load of providing the best service we can to our customers. While it’s unlikely you will be called upon to rectify an issue, if something does go wrong you could be tasked with working on an unpredictable, but urgent, task. The good news is that you’ll be compensated for your on-call duties.
What will I do as a Senior Backend Engineer at AYLIEN?
To give you an idea of what a Backend Engineer actually works on at AYLIEN, we have listed some of our recent projects that are relevant to the Backend Engineer role:
- We recently designed, developed, and integrated two new components — a Machine Translation system for translating non-English documents, and a clustering component for grouping related documents — into our content processing pipeline. Once these components were integrated, we created a new test environment in our cloud platform (GCP), completed a load test with live data, and identified bottlenecks that were then resolved via refactoring.
- After investigating and discussing several options, we improved the logging facilities in all components of our pipeline to identify any documents that went missing, along with a diagnosis to help us understand why the documents were missing.
- Minimum 3 years as a Senior Backend Engineer
- Strong software development experience in a SaaS product company
- Significant experience with the technologies used in AYLIEN’s stack or similar:
- Scala / Java / Go / Python
- Containerization technology (e.g. Docker and Kubernetes)
- HTTP (REST) APIs and networking
- Search solutions (e.g. Solr, ElasticSearch, Lucene)
- Cloud computing services (e.g. Google Cloud Platform)
- Debian, GitHub, Travis, Helm, Prometheus
- Experience with delivering and shipping products in a similar environment
- Deep understanding of delivery and engineering best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to explain technical details to people inside the company
- Experience in reliability engineering
- Experience with large-scale data processing workflows
- Interest in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and related topics
- Domain knowledge and passion for the news and media intelligence industry
We provide a number of employee benefits worth mentioning:
- Competitive salary
- Employee stock options
- 24 days annual leave
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Life Assurance
- Serious Illness Cover
- Relocation assistance
If you don’t have experience with all of the above technologies, don’t sweat it. We typically look for strong all-rounders, so if you have relevant experience with other languages or technologies and you are open to learning, you’ll fit right in.
#scala #developers #java #softwareengineer #go #Kubernetes